Warm Crab Tartlets

A Matter of Perspective~

Some things never change.  I love crabmeat; I have always loved crabmeat.

When I was a little girl, I thought The Red Lobster was the fanciest restaurant on the planet. I mean, only a truly elegant restaurant would offer grown-ups special bibs so their clothes wouldn’t get dirty!

Every chance I got, I would plead with my parents to go there. Birthdays were a given. I would gaze in wonder at the lobsters swimming in thier tank, waiting to become someone’s dinner. I wasn’t interested in eating something that was so ALIVE only moments before it arrived on my plate; I wanted my dinner dead long before I got it!

I always ordered the same thing, snow crab legs and an extra basket of garlic cheese biscuits.  Then would tremble with excitement at the thought of my heaping plate of claws and the extra tools with which to eat them.

Well a lot has changed since then. One, I have discovered that the Red Lobster is NOT the fanciest restaurant on the planet, and that plastic bibs and shell pliers do not equal high-class.  I have also realized it is much better to eat food that is veryrecently dead. (…take a moment to JUDGE me if you so desire.) *smile*Yet, I’m still gaga over crabmeat, and believe it to be one of the most sweet, tender, succulent proteins around!

Crab “fancies up” just about everything it graces. Even lowly party dip with crackers is taken to new heights by the addition of crab.These little tarts are a wonderful small meal, first-course, or party dish with understated elegance. Buttery pastry filled with glorious lump crabmeat, tarragon and spice–no shelling necessary!

Consider this for your New Year’s Eve party!

Yield: 10 servings

Warm Crab Tartlets

1 ¾ cup flour
½ salt salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
4-6 Tbs. ice cold water
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
8 oz. cooked, drained crabmeat
1 ½ Tb. fresh chopped Tarragon
1 small shallot, grated
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

For the crust: Combine the flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse a few times.

Add the cold butter and pulse until the bits of butter are the size of peas. Add the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between, until the dough comes together. It will be a bit lumpy.

Shape the dough into a rectangle, then wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the dough on a floured work surface and roll out to a 8 X 20 inch rectangle.

Trim the rough edges. Then cut down the center lengthwise. Cut each strip into 5 pieces creating 10- 4 inch squares of dough.Fold each square and place them into muffin tins. Press the centers down to the bottom and press the folds into the sides. Prick the bottoms of the shells several times with a fork.

Bake the shells for 15 minutes. Then cool a little.

In the meantime, combine the cream and eggs in a medium sized bowl. Whisk until smooth. Then stir in the rest of the ingredients.

Scoop the crab mixture into each shell evenly.

65 Responses to “Warm Crab Tartlets”

sweetlife — December 28, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

happy holidays, sommer
    I love your story I always thought the same, how funny when we realize we can achieve better at home, how funny about two months ago, down the street they opened a new red lobster, it was SOOOOO BUSY, i laughed each time I passed by..

sweetlife

Peggy — December 28, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

This sounds like a perfect appetizer for a dinner party! I definitely would have a hard time keeping my hands off of them!

Lawyer Loves Lunch — December 28, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

I agree- Red Lobster may not be fancy but it sure is delicious! Although these little tarts could give RL a run for their money. I'm going to try them out this weekend :)

Monet — December 28, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

This post made me laugh…and crave crabmeat. I used to think the same thing about Red Lobster. I do still love those biscuits! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. Here's to a great week with lots of good eats and laughter!

Rick — December 29, 2010 @ 12:36 am

Crab is soooooo good.

shamanaccount — December 29, 2010 @ 3:32 am

Thats soooo deliciously looking! Perfect for this cold weather! Yay! Love this one. Bookmarked!

5 Star Foodie — December 29, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

Your warm crab tartlets sound so delicious, perfect appetizers for sure!

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — December 29, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

I loved the way you wrote this, and the crab cakes!!
    Happy New Year!!

A Canadian Foodie — December 29, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

What a beautiful read and recipe. I appreciate the tutorial as it helped me understand your process so clearly.
    YUM!
    valerie

briarrose — December 30, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

So precious. An excellent appetizer for any party. Mini food is just so appealing. ;)

Magic of Spice — December 30, 2010 @ 9:43 pm

These tarts are gorgeous and most definitely perfect for a New Years celebration :)

Sprinkled with Flour — January 1, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

My first comment was, "oooooh, crab." These would be a perfect party appetizer, and I love the flavors here, especially the tarragon:)

Hyosun Ro — January 4, 2011 @ 2:25 am

These little ones look beautiful and delicious. I am saving the recipe for my next party.

Tasty Eats At Home — January 5, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

I too thought Red Lobster was the greatest place ever. It was the fancy seafood place my dad would take my mom for birthdays and anniversaries – so it must be amazing, right? I also loved the biscuits. And while I can't say I ever ate crab there, it is one of my favorite things from the sea. While I love it simply steamed, these also look spectacular. Hope you had a great holiday.

Christine (CookTheStory) — January 7, 2014 @ 8:19 pm

We didn’t eat out often when I was young, but when we did, if crab was on the menu, I always ordered it too. Your tarts look delicious.