Apple Cheddar Palmiers

Kitchen Invaders Detoured~

I often feel like a military commander in my kitchen, on the day of a holiday dinner party. Barking orders, protecting the sacred cargo, holding down the fort from invaders.

My family strategically circles the kitchen until the meal is ready, slipping by the counter to snatch a stray slice of prime rib or an unwatched roll.

Over time, I’ve discovered pre-party snacks are the way to go. Munchies that are out of the kitchen, and out of my way, keep us all sane until the guests arrive and the meal is ready.

Is does take a little extra work, but I believe it’s worth the effort! If you buy a few pre-made dips, then incorporate a couple quick homemade snacks, everyone is off the prowl until mealtime!

Apple Cheddar Palmiers are perfect for just such an occasion! They are quick to put together, and you can refrigerate or freeze until you are ready to use them. Then just slice and bake! They can even be baked ahead if you so desire, because they taste incredible at room temperature!

To make:

Preheat a skillet to medium-high. Saute the apples and shallots in butter for 3-5 minutes. Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.

Lay each piece of puff pastry on its own piece of parchment paper and roll them lightly.

Top both pieces with apple mixture and distribute evenly. Then top with them with shredded cheese.

Fold the pastry sheets inward ¼ of the width on both ends. Fold in again so that the dough meets in the middle. Fold one more time.

Wrap the rolls in the paper and put the rolls in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill before cutting. (Wrap them well if you are prepping ahead).

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Carefully slice each roll into 12-15 ½ inch slices and lay flat on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Whisk the egg and brush it over the tops. Bake for 12-14 minutes.

Cool before lifting! Makes 24-30.

Yield: 2 dozen

Apple Cheddar Palmiers

2 Tb. butter
2 baking apples, peeled and diced
2 shallots, chopped
½ tsp. nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1 ½ cup sharp grated cheddar
2 sheets puff pastry (1 box)
1 egg

25 Responses to “Apple Cheddar Palmiers”

Gulmohar — December 3, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Everyone in my family loves Palmiers and your version sounds wonderful :-)

Magic of Spice — December 3, 2010 @ 7:44 pm

Your palmiers look perfect…Very delightful for the season, or breakfast ;)

Damaris @Kitchen Corners — December 3, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

apple cheddar is my new favorite combination. we made some apple cheddar scones, a recipe that was passed down by one of my readers, and it kicked every scones butt. now i want to make your recipe.

Monet — December 3, 2010 @ 9:40 pm

I would be circling the kitchen too if I knew these delicious treats were going to be coming out of the oven. I love apples and cheese, so I'm thrilled to see this recipe. Thank you for sharing with me. Have a love-filled weekend!

Pacheco Patty — December 4, 2010 @ 2:56 am

Fun recipe! I love the look of these apple cheese palmiers and I could make a meal out of these, no problem. Have a nice weekend;)

Baking Barrister — December 4, 2010 @ 6:07 am

these are really creative and look great with the apple chunks coming out of the palmier. MUCH more appetizing than most palmiers. And I bark orders in my kitchen as well ;)

Lisa — December 4, 2010 @ 8:05 am

I've had the sweet palmiers before, but your savory ones look even better. I can only imagine that it would be like eating a flaky piece of apple pie. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

Lori — December 4, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

I'd say this is precious cargo, Commander.

MaryMoh — December 4, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

These look so simple to make and looks delicious in all ways. Great for parties. I love it. Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Chef Dennis — December 4, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

what a wonderful appetizer! apples and cheddar go so well together, and using that puff dough really makes it much easier to put together.
    Thanks for such a great idea!
    Dennis

Eileen — December 4, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

Oh those looks scrumptious. You are so creative. I can only imagine how hard it is for your guests to stay clear of your kitchen.

Kay Heritage — December 4, 2010 @ 5:06 pm

Beautiful website, Sommer! Thank you for connecting with me. Look forward to getting to know you better through your site!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — December 5, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

What an original appetizer! These look really yummy.

alice — December 5, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Oooh! These look great and the previous post thumbprints look divine. I'm looking forward to reading more with a cup of tea later on!

blackbookkitchendiaries — December 5, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

this are so pretty..i love the flavor combo..it's just delish!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) — December 6, 2010 @ 2:14 am

Great looking palmers! I love the flavour combo.

Stephanie Savors the Moment — December 6, 2010 @ 2:51 am

Those palmiers look fabulous and love your strategy for deterring the "invaders" – thanks for sharing!

briarrose — December 6, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

What a great treat. The shallots are in interesting ingredient.

Table Talk — December 7, 2010 @ 2:29 am

Apple and chedar goes so well together, and through some puff pastry in the mix and you know it is gong to be good!
    I love make-ahead hors d'oeuvres like this one that may be served and enjoyed at room temperature. Leaves time for relaxing with guests!

Hyosun Ro — December 9, 2010 @ 1:48 am

oh these look so good. Great holiday treats! Thanks for sharing.

tracey — October 15, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

just made these for a fall picnic and they were a HUGE hit with adults and little ones alike. thanks for the fabulous recipe! i will be making these again for sure.

1. Pingback: The Braggin’ List — Villeroy & Boch Blog