Broiled Pear and Prosciutto Toasts

We all have pet-peeves, right? Well, I have a real problem with elitist know-it-all attitudes.

Of course, I used to think I could manage the whole world with one hand tied behind my back. But now? Marriage, parenthood…life, have humbled me. (Thankfully.) There’s a fine line between having confidence and “putting on airs”. Why do we so often feel we need to prove to others that we have all the answers?

You find it in every genre of life, but food-lovers are particularly prone to this. Sprinkling frenchy lingo, hard-to-find ingredients, and foodie hot-spots in every conversation, as if to say, “Please notice that I know what I’m talking about!!!” These individuals are puffed up on culinary terms and a misled sense that they are part of some secret society. I  just smile and nod…

I have come to believe we are all foodies, on some level. We all have to eat don’t we? Maybe some of us pay a little more attention to what we put in our bodies and how we prepare it, but that’s not a right to elevate ourselves above “the lowly pitiful masses that eat at chain restaurants and buy pre-made grocery items!”

If there is anything the cooking class girls have shown me, it’s that becoming a good cook is more about will-power than about talent. Talent can only take a person so far. Think of all the talented people you know who sit around whining about how life has stifled their dream. While other, presumably less talented people, run the show!

Many food cultures world-wide believe thatgood SIMPLE ingredients create the best dishes. It’s not that elaborate dishes aren’t tasty; of course they are. They are just so often unnecessary!

If you have access to fresh local cheeses, meats, and produce that taste unfathomably delicious on their own, why would you need to doctor them? Remember, you don’t have anything to prove! Sometimes the simplest combination of flavors can be the most enjoyable…and elegant!

Here is a wonderful little snack, or brunch item, that is a testament to it’s ingredients–not the maker. A broiled pear slice draped across hot molten cheese toast, then topped with crispy prosciutto. So satisfying, yet so easy to prepare. It is a perfect stand-alone, or accompaniment to creamy soups!

Humility, that low, sweet root, From which all heavenly virtues shoot. ~Sir Thomas More

Broiled Pear and Prosciutto Toasts

Preheat the broiler on high and set the oven rack to a high position. Lay the pear slices on a baking sheet. Brush them with oil on both sides and sprinkle them with salt. Broil the pears for 2-4 minutes–until the edges are crisp and the flesh is tender.

Smear a tablespoon of soft creamy cheese across each English muffin half. Once the pears are tender, lay one on each toast.

Place the toasts on the baking sheet and top each with a slice of prosciutto. Broil again for 2-4 minutes, until the prosciutto and muffin edges are crispy. Serve warm! Makes 4 toasts.

Yield: 4 servings

Broiled Pear and Prosciutto Toasts

2 English muffins, halved
1 pear sliced in 1/8 inch thick whole slices, core removed
4 Tb. brie, or soft creamy goat cheese
4 slices of prosciutto
Oil and salt

Brush them with oil on both sides and sprinkle them with salt. Broil the pears for 2-4 minutes--until the edges are crisp and the flesh is tender.

68 Responses to “Broiled Pear and Prosciutto Toasts”

Pacheco Patty — November 9, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject of food snobbery. I think some folks out there just like to express themselves in a manner that really just shows off their own insecurities whether or not it's about food or something else….that's just the way life is. I love good simple fresh food, that to me is always the preferable way to eat and your pear prosciutto toasts fit the bill quite nicely;)

thespicegarden — November 9, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

An excellent rant … and so very true. The ingredients we use can run the gamut from exotic to prepared and right out of the can … what's important is taste. Every cook needs an arsenal of quickie recipes … this lovely little toast fits the bill! Love the idea of it accompanying an herb omelet, cup of coffee and the Sunday paper …yum! Thanks, Sommer!

Delishhh — November 10, 2010 @ 4:36 am

You are so right! I just added Pesto to your list, it is quick and simple and good. But i have many of those recipes. I love soups and make many simpel soups too.

sweetlife — November 10, 2010 @ 6:21 am

great post sommer, some people just like to hear themselves talk, what's funny is most bloggers eat very simple, some just love to create smoke…love your combo,

sweetlife

thelonelyradish.com — November 10, 2010 @ 10:53 am

Um, you could have just had a buttered English muffin, and I would have been on board ;)

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — November 10, 2010 @ 11:23 am

I absolutely agree with what you say !!!! I know a lot of those people !! and I love your toasts !!!! That with a glass of red wine, and you made my day !! (or evening, actually)
    Take care,
    Cristina

Kristen — November 10, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

I am late reading this, but I agree, nonetheless. Cooks, bakers, chefs who take themselves too seriously squash the fun right out of food. Your pear toasts sound simple, but tasty….what food should regularly be.

Sanjeeta kk — November 10, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

I am in one mind with you regarding food and simplicity. I love to eat simple food with very few ingredients to go in it.
    This toast adds up in my list of simple, quick and healthy foods.

BakingWithoutaBox — November 10, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

I. Loved. This. Post. I've read it three times. On different days. Just to absorb more of it. Because I totally agree. I don't understand why things have to be so complicated. Simple. Elegant. What's available here and now. You totally nailed it.

Cake Duchess — November 11, 2010 @ 2:52 am

Love this post Sommer. I love simple recipes. And this is a simple recipe I will have to make. Great job!:)

She's Cookin' — November 11, 2010 @ 7:09 am

I am with you all the way! Simple things are best. I try to stick to my mission of offering recipes that are fast, fresh, and family friendly because I also write for OCFamily and busy parents/professionals don't have the time to spend hours in the kitchen. There are some pairings, such as pear & prosciutto that are classic for a reason – you don't have to gussy them up :)

Quay Po Cooks — November 11, 2010 @ 11:07 am

Snobbish foodies or complicating recipes don't seem to bother me because I know why I started my blog and that is to document my family's recipes and share them with family, friends and my readers. The goal is to share joy and not to impress. I enjoyed reading other food blogs and learn from them and always delighted to hear from my foodie friends. I started to enjoy cooking since I started my blog and loving it. I also love reading good recipes and seeing fabulous picture of food like yours and many others. I get much joy out of cooking, writing recipes taking pictures of my own food to share. I agree simple is good but sometimes, it is fun to try something complicated.

Sophie — November 11, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

MMMMMMMMMM,..Indeed the best ingredients creates the most delcious food! I colmpletely agree! These toasts with the lovely topping are looking so appetizing!
    I tagged you on my blog with 10 questions! Come over & read all about it, dear Sommer!

Anonymous — November 11, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

Great post! I’m looking to make some changes in my own eating habits, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

I’ve started to look for their stuff more regularly and I think I’m going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

-Amy

Judimae — November 11, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Sommer, I am so glad that I connected with you on Twitter and found your blog. I just love the combo of ingredients in this sandwich. I have had brie and pears together, however, not with Prosciutto. Sounds delicious, and you can bet I will try it soon. Thanks for sharing your love of cooking with us.

JillyAn — November 15, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

This is a lovely, simple dish Sommer. I couldn't agree more about some of the snooty foodies…LOL If it is of any consequence, I enjoy your blog just because of your unpretentious recipes and engaging writing. I don't think most of the Cordon Bleu set spend any time on my blog either and that is okay.

Ruby — December 6, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

Very interesting. I agree with you wholeheartedly, yet I wonder if others see me as being snobby because I feature so many international foods. It's just a result of my vagabond life – and actually the dishes themselves are usually the more humble choices from each culture. For example, I've always thought it would be fun to open a greasy spoon French diner and serve rustic (and cheap) family-style French food. You know, like what real French families really eat. It's not all Michelin-starred over there either. So I think we can expand our horizons without making it an ego trip. Anyway, thanks for the ego check – I think we all need it at some point! :-)

1. Pingback: 5 Tips and 25 Recipes for a Romantic Dinner : Cook the Story