Damn Good Corn Pudding

I like to feature local restaurants on occasion, and this is one I’m very excited to share!

12 Bones Smokehouse is an undeniable Asheville icon, serving up sumptuous ribs, pulled pork, chicken, turkey, brisket and a slew of southern sides, like corn pudding.

Owners Tom Montgomery and wife Sabra Kelley have become local heroes for their ground-breaking spice rubs and sauces. On any given day you can sample Blueberry-Chipotle or Strawberry-Habanero Ribs. They run seasonal blends including peach or pumpkin…on the meat!

This seemingly humble eatery has received national awards and praises from high caliber sources including: Southern Living Magazine, Good Morning American, The New York Times, and numerous national BBQ competitions. President Obama has visited 12 Bones twice in the last year and a half. They say he came to Asheville for R&R, be we know he came for the ribs!

Tom and Sabra guard their recipes with great care. Yet, I’m happy to tell you they’ve shared their “Damn Good Corn Pudding” recipe with ASP! And just in time for Thanksgiving!!! Even if you have a tried-and-true dressing recipe, I encourage you to set it aside this year and try this!

12 Bones “Damn Good Corn Pudding” is an amalgamation of traditional cornbread dressing and a custard-like corn pudding. It’s tender, rich and melts in your mouth, with just a touch of heat from poblano peppers. It is a southern’s dream dish!  I admit in the pan, the top is not much to look at, but scoop into it’s tender folds and all the flavors are suddenly revealed! Damn good Corn Pudding is extremely quick to put together, then just pop it in the oven!

12 Bones also provides whole Thanksgiving meals, if your oven breaks down or your turkey catches on fire! If you’re interested, I’d order ahead!

To make:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Pour the eggs, butter, cream and creamed corn in an electric mixer.

Mix well and add the poblanos and corn. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. It should resemble cake batter.

Grease a large 11 X 15 rimmed baking dish. (You could use two smaller dishes.) Pour the pudding mixture into the pan and place it in the oven. Lightly tent the pan with foil.

Bake for 1 hour, until the center is just set. (30-40 minutes for smaller pans) You may want to take the foil off the last 10-15 minutes so the top will be golden.

Yield: 8 servings

Cook Time: 1 hour

Damn Good Corn Pudding ~from 12 Bones Smokehouse

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups sugar
3 tbs. + 1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
6 large eggs
1 stick melted butter (1/2 cup)
2 cups heavy cream
1 – 14 oz. can of creamed corn
2 fresh poblano peppers, seeded and diced
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen corn

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Pour the eggs, butter, cream and creamed corn in an electric mixer.

Serves 1, or if you’re in a sharing mood 8-10.

15 Responses to “Damn Good Corn Pudding”

Karlyn — December 12, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

I made this yesterday for a holiday party, and it was a HUGE hit! I had so many requests for the recipe, so I know I will make it again and again. However, I had to substitute 2 Anaheim chili's as I couldn't find poblano, but it worked out perfect.

Toby — December 17, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

love the sexy simplicity of your blog…and I adore good corn pudding :)

I'll be poking back in from time to time! Cheers

Toby

Sarah P — December 22, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Do you think it would work to substitute half and half for the heavy cream? Or does it need the extra fat to thicken up? I've made it once with heavy whipping crea,m, but I picked up a bottle of half and half to make this again for Christmas dinner!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE — December 22, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

I'm sure the half&half would be fine. It might take a few more minutes in the oven though!

Chrisan — January 3, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

This is always my go-to side when I'm at 12 Bones. Thanks for getting the recipe!

I made this for my Thanksgiving meal with 1 1/3 cup milk & 2/3 cup heavy cream. Tasted great and I didn't feel quite as guilty.

Oh and I couldn't find poblanos, so I substituted with 2 anaheims and half a jalapeno.

Delicious!

Renee — January 22, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

This looks amazing. I love to make corn pudding/stuffing. Can not wait to try this version. I love the idea of using a poblano pepper. I bet it would be good with a pinch of smoky paprika too! 12 Bones looks like a fun place to eat.

Jessica — May 20, 2013 @ 10:50 am

Thank you soooo much for posting this — and 12 Bones too!! I am addicted to it right now and live just a little too far to go to the restaurant as often as I’d like. I’ve tried to figure out what is in it -made 3 other recipies -nothing comes close! I’m making this right now! I’ll let you know how it turns out!

• Jessica — September 29th, 2013 @ 11:15 am

Deeeelicious!

Lynn — July 15, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

3 TABLESPOONs + 1 teaspoon seems like an awful lot of baking powder. Has anyone tried this?
    Usually in baking it is 1 teaspoon per cup of flour not 5 t. per cup!

• Sommer — July 17th, 2013 @ 6:00 am

That’s their recipe… and it turns out lovely! :)

Jenn Baker (@jbakernyc) — November 23, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

I haven’t had good corn pudding in years so thanks for this! I will definitely attempt during the holidays.

vicki mehaffey — November 28, 2013 @ 9:21 am

Making this Thanksgiving. If it turns out well, I will take a picture & post it.

Stephanie — December 18, 2013 @ 10:45 pm

Have had at 12bones and love it! Wondering if you have tried assembling the day before baking? Looking for a make ahead for Christmas. Thanks!

Art Man — March 22, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

Hello All, your Biggest fan here, lol… Hope you are all well. I was wondering if we could make the Corn Pudding recipe Gluten Free by replacing the All Purpose wheat flour with something like Soy Flour, Rice Flour, Tapioca Flour etc…? Thanks so much for this recipe, i love it! Stephen

• Sommer — March 23rd, 2014 @ 9:48 am

Hi! You know, I’ve never tried that, but I would guess a good gluten free baking mix would work just as well. :)