celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and Christmas is only six weeks away, can you believe it? Time for Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries.

I took my dog for a walk this morning and reveled in the clean crisp air, gingerly scented with decomposing leaves and pin needles. I don’t know what it is about that earthy aroma that makes me so happy. Like a whispering woodland fairy, it always reminds me to start planning for the holidays; no time to waste.

I always like to make candied cranberries in preparation for the holidays. They are extremely simple, and impressive at any Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years table! Candied cranberries are like nature-made Sour Patch Kids, sweet and tart. Plus they are so pretty; just think of all the wonderful ways to use them:

Place them in a candy dish to be gobbled up by the handful!

Use as a fancy garnish for holiday pies, cakes…even savory dishes.

Fill martini or champagne glasses with them to decorate your holiday table.

Place them in little tins or gift bags for small edible gifts!

One more bonus~ the leftover vanilla-orange simple syrup absorbs the essence of cranberry, so save it for irresistible holiday cocktails!

My next post will discuss more about planning for your Thanksgiving meal, but in the meantime, make sure to check out you local event calender so you don’t miss any of the festivities this time of year. November and December provide such great family fun! Here are some of my favorite Asheville events:

The National Gingerbread House Competition held at the Grove Park Inn. November 15th – January 2nd

LA Zoom Turkey Tour, Thanksgiving week only!

Biltmore Village Annual Dickens Fest, December 3-5th. (Go Friday night!)

Warren Haynes Christmas Jam, midnight on December 11th. Steve Miller Band will be there this year! *smile*

The Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker, December 21st only!

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

To make:

Combine 2 ½ cups of sugar, water, vanilla, and orange extract in a sauce pan. Heat over medium until the sugar has completely dissolved—but not boiling.

Pour in the cranberries and stir. The hot syrup will loosen the skin, saturate the berries and adhere to the berries over time.

Cover the cranberries with a small plate to keep them mostly submerged. Then cover the pan and place it in the refrigerator over night.

Place the remaining 1 ¼ cup of sugar in a rimmed dish. Strain the cranberries and place them in the sugar. Shake until they are completely coated.

Carefully transfer them to a baking sheet to dry—about an hour.

Once the sugar coating is hard, place them in an air-tight container and keep in a cool spot for up to a week!

*Don’t forget to refrigerate your Cranberry Infused Vanilla-Orange Syrup for cocktail time!

Vanilla-Orange Sugared Cranberries

Yield: 12 servings

Prep Time:15 minutes

Cook Time:10 minutes

3 ¾ cups sugar, divided
1 ¾ cups water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. orange extract or grand mariner
1- 12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)

Carefully transfer them to a baking sheet to dry—about an hour.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

89 Responses to “Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries”

1. Alisonposted November 11, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I think I'm in love! What a fantastic idea.

2. Angie's Recipesposted November 11, 2010 at 7:44 pm

That's a super duper idea! I didn't know I could do cranberries this way. Thanks!
    Angie

3. Angie's Recipesposted November 11, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Hi Kona! You look almost as sweet as your Frauchen. :-))

4. claireposted November 11, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Love this idea! All of the uses are so well thought out and perfect for the holidays. I have a great planning sheet I found for thanksgiving too if you need it!

5. Carol Peterman/TableFareposted November 11, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Gorgeous! I can‘t wait to try them. I love cranberries.

6. Gourmet Gadget Galposted November 11, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I had sugared fruit like this on my wedding cake. It is so pretty. I have always wanted to come see the gingerbread houses at Grove Park. Is it just mobbed or are there better times to come? My husband, Paul, makes an amazing gingerbread house every year with candy glazed windows and he lights it from inside.

7. Cristina - TeenieCakesposted November 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

These sugared cranberries are downright beautiful and festive. What a lovely edible decoration for the table. Saved to recipe file for sure…thx for the inspiration and sharing :)

8. baking.serendipityposted November 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I love, love, love this. Seriously, I'm planning a holiday party already just to have these sitting on the counter in dishes to share. I love it!

9. Victoriaposted November 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Wow, these are so easy and they looks so festive and beautiful! I definitely want to make these this year! Thanks so much for sharing. Oh, and yeah, I cannot believe that Christmas is only 6 weeks away, crazy!

10. thegourmandmom.composted November 11, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yum! Great idea!

11. apiciusapprenticeposted November 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I love this idea! Cranberries are on sale at our Teeter this week, and since I'm having friends over on Sunday, I think I'll try this!

12. blackbookkitchendiariesposted November 11, 2010 at 10:29 pm

this is so pretty:) thank you for sharing this.

13. briarroseposted November 11, 2010 at 11:01 pm

These are wonderful. I can see a ton of uses for these lovelies.

14. Angela FRSposted November 11, 2010 at 11:04 pm

So pretty! Such a great idea as an edible centerpiece, too.

15. Stellaposted November 11, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Nice, Sommer! I love that you compared these to Sour Patch Kids too-I bet these are much more delicious, and I know they are more wholesome:)

16. Evan Thomasposted November 11, 2010 at 11:05 pm

These sound delicious! Love the idea of grand marnier :-)

17. wendyweekendgourmetposted November 12, 2010 at 12:05 am

LOVE THESE…saving!

18. sara @ CaffeInaposted November 12, 2010 at 12:21 am

So easy and so pretty? I love that you are presenting us with something so doable and at the same time so chic! Love the grand marnier :)

19. Evan @swEEtsposted November 12, 2010 at 12:25 am

How fantastic! These look delicious.. I love the flavors.. I'm going to use this in a slightly different dish.. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

20. Belinda @zomppaposted November 12, 2010 at 12:42 am

I am absolutely not thinking Christmas. These are just what it takes to get me in the mood.

21. Confectionary Designsposted November 12, 2010 at 12:43 am

Clever combination of flavors! Thank you for sharing – it looks beautiful.

22. Queen of Cuisineposted November 12, 2010 at 1:12 am

This is a great recipe- I have a bag of cranberries and am going to make this RIGHT NOW!! Thanks.

Lisa.

23. Priya Sreeramposted November 12, 2010 at 2:04 am

whoa they look awesome ! wanna graab a few–:P

24. Julie M.posted November 12, 2010 at 2:06 am

Wow Sommer! These are almost too beautiful to eat! Great idea!

25. Reeniposted November 12, 2010 at 2:20 am

These are stunning! And sound positively delicious!

26. Meganposted November 12, 2010 at 3:07 am

Holy Cranberry! I am going to have to give these a whirl. They look beautiful and sound delicious. We have a lot of cooks in our family and we all are bringing *something special* to Thanksgiving this year. This might have to be my new treat! :)

27. My Kitchen in the Rockiesposted November 12, 2010 at 4:31 am

They are so beautiful. What a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing!

28. karenposted November 12, 2010 at 4:33 am

Hi there! I love the recipes, clear instructions & delicious photography! May I know what camera you use for your shots? Thanks. Will keep coming back for more.

29. Eileenposted November 12, 2010 at 4:49 am

Wow! What a great idea. I am going to make these for Thanksgiving – for sure. Won't everyone be impressed! Do the cranberries soften much?

30. Yesimposted November 12, 2010 at 7:27 am

woow.. really it looks so good, great idea!

31. Cherineposted November 12, 2010 at 10:39 am

Gorgeous! i love cranberries!

32. Carolynposted November 12, 2010 at 11:52 am

Well this is incredibly timely. I was just looking up how to make sugared cranberries for some desserts I have in mind this Christmas. Thanks! They look beautiful.

33. Kristenposted November 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Those are so pretty and festive. Thank you for a timely recipe!

34. Katerinaposted November 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm

These are such great treats. I wish we had cranberries in Greece.

35. Kimberly @ Servantless American Cookposted November 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I live in Asheville as well and have always enjoyed seeing the gingerbread house competition! Every year my boyfriend and I enjoy some hot chocolate in the lounging area after looking at all the houses. The Nutcracker is such a treat, too! Your cranberries look delicious! What a festive idea!

36. Emily Malloyposted November 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm

1. You are the cutest creative ever. Yes, cuter than Kona.
    2. These are perfect!

37. Katie@Cozydeliciousposted November 12, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Candies cranberries are my favorite thing ever! I made a whole bunch last year nd they were gobbled up in minutes. I used plain old simple syrup but lov ethe extra flavors in your version. Thanks for the reminder to make them again.

38. thelonelyradish.composted November 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I love these! I love your pictures too :)

39. Winelady Cooksposted November 12, 2010 at 9:13 pm

What a terrific recipe. And I just love your photos. This is a great idea and looks so beautiful and festive.

Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

40. Green Girl @ A little bit of everythingposted November 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Your sugared cranberries are so cute that I'd throw a party just to make them to show off to my guests :d
    thanks for sharing it

41. lauraposted November 12, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Oh, beautiful, Sommer! These photos are gorgeous (as are you!)! I love the idea of making amazing edible decorations. You are helping me feel festive already – wish I were there to enjoy all the activities. ( :

42. EnglishGirlinBCposted November 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm

these look fabulous! I will definitely be making these at Christmas time!

43. Biren @ Roti n Riceposted November 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm

They look so pretty and festive. Great for the holiday table!

44. Monetposted November 13, 2010 at 12:26 am

What a wonderful idea! These sugared cranberries look gorgeous. I imagine that they would look beautiful on a holiday table. You are adorable, by the way. Thank you for sharing. I hope your weekend is full of love and fun.

45. Emily Zposted November 13, 2010 at 2:15 am

Hi, Sommer! I feel like we haven't chatted in a while, although I am not sure why! Let's remedy that! These cranberries look WONderful, and I love your dog, although I am rather partial to my own. ;)

46. Chow and Chatterposted November 13, 2010 at 4:48 am

wow love these and the snap of you and your dog is adorable

47. Marisaposted November 13, 2010 at 5:30 am

These are lovely for the holidays. The cranberries look like they are spinkled in snow! P.S. Your dog is very cute!

48. K o r iposted November 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm

What lovely photos and what a lovely idea! I am so excited the holidays are around the corner. Thanks for sharing your recipe and congrats on the top 9 too!!!

49. Lizzyposted November 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Beautiful!!!

50. Annieposted November 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Those are so festive and pretty! They also look like their easy to make. I am going to give this one a try!

51. nancy@skinnykitchen.composted November 13, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I too make sugared cranberries for a holiday garnish. Yours looks so festive!

52. Chef Dennisposted November 13, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Sommer

those cranberries look amazing and are so simple to make!! I can't wait to try them!! Thanks so much for passing along this wonderful creation!
    Cheers
    Dennis

53. homepodgeposted November 13, 2010 at 10:18 pm

They look beautiful and I bet they taste even better… and the cranberry infused syrup would make a delicious addition to some iced tea!

54. Torviewtorontoposted November 14, 2010 at 12:19 am

delicious way to eat cranberries

55. thespicegardenposted November 14, 2010 at 1:06 am

Haha! I see someone else is going for Christmas and holiday posts! In our house, we laugh when someone breaks the 'pre-Thanksgiving ban on all things Christmas'. BUT… yesterday, I baked a beautiful little spice cake and decked it out like Christmas… look on The Spice Garden! To great minds, Sommer! Cranberries and sugar decked cakes … deck the halls!

56. Shirleyposted November 14, 2010 at 2:48 am

These are gorgeous! I'd hesitate to eat them at someone's house… they look like they're meant to be admired.

• Toni — November 6th, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

I made these for an event and I will be disappointed if no one eats them. They are delish!

57. WizzyTheStickposted November 14, 2010 at 3:29 am

These are so beautiful. No cranberries her ebut excited to try this with other fruit

58. Cake Duchessposted November 14, 2010 at 3:46 am

This photos is gorgeous! I want it to be my Christmas card. Can you photoshop in my kids? Delicious! Have a wonderful weekend!!

59. j e t s e t WISDOMposted November 14, 2010 at 4:49 am

You just helped me decide what to make for my (helpful) gate agents and flight attendant friends, while flying during the holiday season. I'm thinking in baby jelly jars, wrapped in striking burgandy toile with a little velvet ribbon! Love!!!!!

60. honeybeecooksjackfruitposted November 14, 2010 at 6:08 am

Wow so festive! Great idea.

61. Heavenly Housewifeposted November 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

What a wonderful flavour! These would be so beautiful on top of a cake as a decoration. It would be so pretty!
    *kisses* HH

62. M @ Betty Crapperposted November 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm

These are so pretty and festive. I wonder how much like sour candy they taste like.

63. 5 Star Foodieposted November 15, 2010 at 2:29 am

Such pretty cranberries! The vanilla and orange flavor sounds excellent for sure!

64. The Mom Chefposted November 15, 2010 at 2:36 am

Wow…when I first saw the title, I have to admit that I wasn't interested, thinking that it would be raw cranberries. But the bath in the hot simple syrup would make them perfect. You're a genius.

65. Nirmalaposted November 15, 2010 at 2:36 am

These ares stunningly simple. Now I just have to find fresh cranberries.

66. Magic of Spiceposted November 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm

These are definitely pretty…wonderful flavors :)
    I just finished a cranberry dessert last night, these would have been lovely on the side :)

67. Kristy {Sweet Treats & More}posted December 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Your cranberries are beautiful. I made some similar ones…mine got all clumpy! I'll have to try with orange and vanilla!

68. Fashion Meets Foodposted December 6, 2010 at 7:58 pm

this is the cutest idea! I am going out to the store right now and buying some cranberries so I can do this as well. I am your newest follower.

xo

69. Taylorposted December 7, 2010 at 5:38 am

I've never had sugared cranberries…they sound delicious with the vanilla orange syrup! Perfect for the holidays!

70. LondonEatsposted February 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm

What a great idea! I wish I had seen this in time for Christmas…but I just made some candied kumquats in syrup, so perhaps this is something I could try with them in the meantime. I’ve never wanted to try a Christmas recipe so early in the year. Well done!

71. Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi)posted November 30, 2011 at 8:33 am

Um, this is brilliant. I’m totally doing this!

72. Laura @ Family Spiceposted November 30, 2011 at 9:27 am

Great idea! I’ve garnished cakes with candied cranberries before, but it required raw egg. And who would eat that?!

73. mjskitposted November 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I’ve always wondered if cranberries could be made into sweet berry bites and here you have it. This is just what I’ve been looking for. I bet it’s a bite of tart sweetness. Thanks for sharing!

74. deniseposted December 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm

love this idea never heard of candies cranberries,,, They sound yummy

75. Vanessa Cposted December 29, 2011 at 1:37 am

Not only beautiful to look at but an extremely user friendly recipe to make even for the novice of cooks. I will definitely be adding this to my recipe collection. Thank you so very much!

76. Pingback: Quest for the Best Banana Bread and a Chopped Challenge « Eat, Play, Love

77. Gregposted December 29, 2011 at 10:43 am

Oh just saw these on Eat, Play, Love and can’t wait to try them!

78. Eileenposted December 29, 2011 at 1:23 pm

These are so beautiful sparkling in the bowl! I made a batch and although they are a little too sour for me, my husband and son (big fans of Sour Patch Kids) love them! Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

79. Pingback: Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries | Cake 'n' KnifeCake 'n' Knife

80. Jessicaposted December 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Just noticing the grams do not equal the cups via Google search. Google says 12oz is equivalent to 1.5 cups. But the ingredients say 12oz is about 3 cups. Please clarify. Was planning on making these. Thanks.

81. Pingback: Recipe testing: candied cranberries « This One Life

82. Pingback: Candied Cranberries

83. Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipes | Pop Goes The Doozy

84. Pingback: Christmas Candy Recipes - Mad in Crafts

85. kristaposted November 15, 2014 at 10:05 am

Using different colored sugars is fun with these. We love to use the golds and silver.

86. Pingback: Candied Cranberries with Amaretto Liqueur - The Cookie Writer

87. Kacey @ The Cookie Writerposted November 26, 2014 at 4:11 pm

We absolutely loved these! I had to keep hands away from them because I wanted to decorate a cake using the cranberries(which turned out perfectly Christmas-y!)
    I did reduce the sugar quite a bit and decided to use Amaretto Liqueur, all working out wonderfully. Thanks so much!

88. Sarah Wposted December 11, 2014 at 11:05 am

I made these last year and my husband ate them up! He even loves them so much he made a specific request for me to make them again this year. I’d call that a winner!