Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and Christmas is only six weeks away, can you believe it? Time for Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries.

I took my dog for a walk this morning and reveled in the clean crisp air, gingerly scented with decomposing leaves and pin needles. I don’t know what it is about that earthy aroma that makes me so happy. Like a whispering woodland fairy, it always reminds me to start planning for the holidays; no time to waste.

I always like to make candied cranberries in preparation for the holidays. They are extremely simple, and impressive at any Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years table! Candied cranberries are like nature-made Sour Patch Kids, sweet and tart. Plus they are so pretty; just think of all the wonderful ways to use them:

Place them in a candy dish to be gobbled up by the handful!

Use as a fancy garnish for holiday pies, cakes…even savory dishes.

Fill martini or champagne glasses with them to decorate your holiday table.

Place them in little tins or gift bags for small edible gifts!

One more bonus~ the leftover vanilla-orange simple syrup absorbs the essence of cranberry, so save it for irresistible holiday cocktails!

My next post will discuss more about planning for your Thanksgiving meal, but in the meantime, make sure to check out you local event calender so you don’t miss any of the festivities this time of year. November and December provide such great family fun! Here are some of my favorite Asheville events:

The National Gingerbread House Competition held at the Grove Park Inn. November 15th – January 2nd

LA Zoom Turkey Tour, Thanksgiving week only!

Biltmore Village Annual Dickens Fest, December 3-5th. (Go Friday night!)

Warren Haynes Christmas Jam, midnight on December 11th. Steve Miller Band will be there this year! *smile*

The Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker, December 21st only!

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

To make:

Combine 2 ½ cups of sugar, water, vanilla, and orange extract in a sauce pan. Heat over medium until the sugar has completely dissolved—but not boiling.

Pour in the cranberries and stir. The hot syrup will loosen the skin, saturate the berries and adhere to the berries over time.

Cover the cranberries with a small plate to keep them mostly submerged. Then cover the pan and place it in the refrigerator over night.

Place the remaining 1 ¼ cup of sugar in a rimmed dish. Strain the cranberries and place them in the sugar. Shake until they are completely coated.

Carefully transfer them to a baking sheet to dry—about an hour.

Once the sugar coating is hard, place them in an air-tight container and keep in a cool spot for up to a week!

*Don’t forget to refrigerate your Cranberry Infused Vanilla-Orange Syrup for cocktail time!

Yield: 12 servings

Vanilla-Orange Sugared Cranberries

3 ¾ cups sugar, divided
1 ¾ cups water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. orange extract or grand mariner
1- 12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)

Carefully transfer them to a baking sheet to dry—about an hour.

89 Responses to “Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries”

nancy@skinnykitchen.com — November 13, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

I too make sugared cranberries for a holiday garnish. Yours looks so festive!

Chef Dennis — November 13, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Sommer

those cranberries look amazing and are so simple to make!! I can't wait to try them!! Thanks so much for passing along this wonderful creation!
    Cheers
    Dennis

homepodge — November 13, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

They look beautiful and I bet they taste even better… and the cranberry infused syrup would make a delicious addition to some iced tea!

Torviewtoronto — November 14, 2010 @ 12:19 am

delicious way to eat cranberries

thespicegarden — November 14, 2010 @ 1:06 am

Haha! I see someone else is going for Christmas and holiday posts! In our house, we laugh when someone breaks the 'pre-Thanksgiving ban on all things Christmas'. BUT… yesterday, I baked a beautiful little spice cake and decked it out like Christmas… look on The Spice Garden! To great minds, Sommer! Cranberries and sugar decked cakes … deck the halls!

Shirley — November 14, 2010 @ 2:48 am

These are gorgeous! I'd hesitate to eat them at someone's house… they look like they're meant to be admired.

• Toni — November 6th, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

I made these for an event and I will be disappointed if no one eats them. They are delish!

WizzyTheStick — November 14, 2010 @ 3:29 am

These are so beautiful. No cranberries her ebut excited to try this with other fruit

Cake Duchess — November 14, 2010 @ 3:46 am

This photos is gorgeous! I want it to be my Christmas card. Can you photoshop in my kids? Delicious! Have a wonderful weekend!!

j e t s e t WISDOM — November 14, 2010 @ 4:49 am

You just helped me decide what to make for my (helpful) gate agents and flight attendant friends, while flying during the holiday season. I'm thinking in baby jelly jars, wrapped in striking burgandy toile with a little velvet ribbon! Love!!!!!

honeybeecooksjackfruit — November 14, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Wow so festive! Great idea.

Heavenly Housewife — November 14, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

What a wonderful flavour! These would be so beautiful on top of a cake as a decoration. It would be so pretty!
    *kisses* HH

M @ Betty Crapper — November 14, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

These are so pretty and festive. I wonder how much like sour candy they taste like.

5 Star Foodie — November 15, 2010 @ 2:29 am

Such pretty cranberries! The vanilla and orange flavor sounds excellent for sure!

The Mom Chef — November 15, 2010 @ 2:36 am

Wow…when I first saw the title, I have to admit that I wasn't interested, thinking that it would be raw cranberries. But the bath in the hot simple syrup would make them perfect. You're a genius.

Nirmala — November 15, 2010 @ 2:36 am

These ares stunningly simple. Now I just have to find fresh cranberries.

Magic of Spice — November 15, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

These are definitely pretty…wonderful flavors :)
    I just finished a cranberry dessert last night, these would have been lovely on the side :)

Kristy {Sweet Treats & More} — December 6, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Your cranberries are beautiful. I made some similar ones…mine got all clumpy! I'll have to try with orange and vanilla!

Fashion Meets Food — December 6, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

this is the cutest idea! I am going out to the store right now and buying some cranberries so I can do this as well. I am your newest follower.

xo

Taylor — December 7, 2010 @ 5:38 am

I've never had sugared cranberries…they sound delicious with the vanilla orange syrup! Perfect for the holidays!

LondonEats — February 16, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

What a great idea! I wish I had seen this in time for Christmas…but I just made some candied kumquats in syrup, so perhaps this is something I could try with them in the meantime. I’ve never wanted to try a Christmas recipe so early in the year. Well done!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — November 30, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Um, this is brilliant. I’m totally doing this!

Laura @ Family Spice — November 30, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Great idea! I’ve garnished cakes with candied cranberries before, but it required raw egg. And who would eat that?!

mjskit — November 30, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

I’ve always wondered if cranberries could be made into sweet berry bites and here you have it. This is just what I’ve been looking for. I bet it’s a bite of tart sweetness. Thanks for sharing!

denise — December 28, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

love this idea never heard of candies cranberries,,, They sound yummy

Vanessa C — December 29, 2011 @ 1:37 am

Not only beautiful to look at but an extremely user friendly recipe to make even for the novice of cooks. I will definitely be adding this to my recipe collection. Thank you so very much!

Greg — December 29, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Oh just saw these on Eat, Play, Love and can’t wait to try them!

Eileen — December 29, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

These are so beautiful sparkling in the bowl! I made a batch and although they are a little too sour for me, my husband and son (big fans of Sour Patch Kids) love them! Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

Jessica — December 16, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

Just noticing the grams do not equal the cups via Google search. Google says 12oz is equivalent to 1.5 cups. But the ingredients say 12oz is about 3 cups. Please clarify. Was planning on making these. Thanks.

krista — November 15, 2014 @ 10:05 am

Using different colored sugars is fun with these. We love to use the golds and silver.

Kacey @ The Cookie Writer — November 26, 2014 @ 4:11 pm

We absolutely loved these! I had to keep hands away from them because I wanted to decorate a cake using the cranberries(which turned out perfectly Christmas-y!)
    I did reduce the sugar quite a bit and decided to use Amaretto Liqueur, all working out wonderfully. Thanks so much!

Sarah W — December 11, 2014 @ 11:05 am

I made these last year and my husband ate them up! He even loves them so much he made a specific request for me to make them again this year. I’d call that a winner!

1. Pingback: Quest for the Best Banana Bread and a Chopped Challenge « Eat, Play, Love

2. Pingback: Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries | Cake 'n' KnifeCake 'n' Knife