Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and Christmas is only six weeks away, can you believe it? Time for Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries.

I took my dog for a walk this morning and reveled in the clean crisp air, gingerly scented with decomposing leaves and pin needles. I don’t know what it is about that earthy aroma that makes me so happy. Like a whispering woodland fairy, it always reminds me to start planning for the holidays; no time to waste.

I always like to make candied cranberries in preparation for the holidays. They are extremely simple, and impressive at any Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years table! Candied cranberries are like nature-made Sour Patch Kids, sweet and tart. Plus they are so pretty; just think of all the wonderful ways to use them:

Place them in a candy dish to be gobbled up by the handful!

Use as a fancy garnish for holiday pies, cakes…even savory dishes.

Fill martini or champagne glasses with them to decorate your holiday table.

Place them in little tins or gift bags for small edible gifts!

One more bonus~ the leftover vanilla-orange simple syrup absorbs the essence of cranberry, so save it for irresistible holiday cocktails!

My next post will discuss more about planning for your Thanksgiving meal, but in the meantime, make sure to check out you local event calender so you don’t miss any of the festivities this time of year. November and December provide such great family fun! Here are some of my favorite Asheville events:

The National Gingerbread House Competition held at the Grove Park Inn. November 15th – January 2nd

LA Zoom Turkey Tour, Thanksgiving week only!

Biltmore Village Annual Dickens Fest, December 3-5th. (Go Friday night!)

Warren Haynes Christmas Jam, midnight on December 11th. Steve Miller Band will be there this year! *smile*

The Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker, December 21st only!

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

To make:

Combine 2 ½ cups of sugar, water, vanilla, and orange extract in a sauce pan. Heat over medium until the sugar has completely dissolved—but not boiling.

Pour in the cranberries and stir. The hot syrup will loosen the skin, saturate the berries and adhere to the berries over time.

Cover the cranberries with a small plate to keep them mostly submerged. Then cover the pan and place it in the refrigerator over night.

Place the remaining 1 ¼ cup of sugar in a rimmed dish. Strain the cranberries and place them in the sugar. Shake until they are completely coated.

Carefully transfer them to a baking sheet to dry—about an hour.

Once the sugar coating is hard, place them in an air-tight container and keep in a cool spot for up to a week!

*Don’t forget to refrigerate your Cranberry Infused Vanilla-Orange Syrup for cocktail time!

Yield: 12 servings

Vanilla-Orange Sugared Cranberries

3 ¾ cups sugar, divided
1 ¾ cups water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. orange extract or grand mariner
1- 12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)

Carefully transfer them to a baking sheet to dry—about an hour.

86 Responses to “Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries”

Alison — November 11, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

I think I'm in love! What a fantastic idea.

Angie's Recipes — November 11, 2010 @ 7:44 pm

That's a super duper idea! I didn't know I could do cranberries this way. Thanks!
    Angie

Angie's Recipes — November 11, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Hi Kona! You look almost as sweet as your Frauchen. :-))

claire — November 11, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

Love this idea! All of the uses are so well thought out and perfect for the holidays. I have a great planning sheet I found for thanksgiving too if you need it!

Carol Peterman/TableFare — November 11, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Gorgeous! I can‘t wait to try them. I love cranberries.

Gourmet Gadget Gal — November 11, 2010 @ 9:54 pm

I had sugared fruit like this on my wedding cake. It is so pretty. I have always wanted to come see the gingerbread houses at Grove Park. Is it just mobbed or are there better times to come? My husband, Paul, makes an amazing gingerbread house every year with candy glazed windows and he lights it from inside.

Cristina - TeenieCakes — November 11, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

These sugared cranberries are downright beautiful and festive. What a lovely edible decoration for the table. Saved to recipe file for sure…thx for the inspiration and sharing :)

baking.serendipity — November 11, 2010 @ 10:08 pm

I love, love, love this. Seriously, I'm planning a holiday party already just to have these sitting on the counter in dishes to share. I love it!

Victoria — November 11, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

Wow, these are so easy and they looks so festive and beautiful! I definitely want to make these this year! Thanks so much for sharing. Oh, and yeah, I cannot believe that Christmas is only 6 weeks away, crazy!

thegourmandmom.com — November 11, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

Yum! Great idea!

apiciusapprentice — November 11, 2010 @ 10:23 pm

I love this idea! Cranberries are on sale at our Teeter this week, and since I'm having friends over on Sunday, I think I'll try this!

blackbookkitchendiaries — November 11, 2010 @ 10:29 pm

this is so pretty:) thank you for sharing this.

briarrose — November 11, 2010 @ 11:01 pm

These are wonderful. I can see a ton of uses for these lovelies.

Angela FRS — November 11, 2010 @ 11:04 pm

So pretty! Such a great idea as an edible centerpiece, too.

Stella — November 11, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

Nice, Sommer! I love that you compared these to Sour Patch Kids too-I bet these are much more delicious, and I know they are more wholesome:)

Evan Thomas — November 11, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

These sound delicious! Love the idea of grand marnier :-)

wendyweekendgourmet — November 12, 2010 @ 12:05 am

LOVE THESE…saving!

sara @ CaffeIna — November 12, 2010 @ 12:21 am

So easy and so pretty? I love that you are presenting us with something so doable and at the same time so chic! Love the grand marnier :)

Evan @swEEts — November 12, 2010 @ 12:25 am

How fantastic! These look delicious.. I love the flavors.. I'm going to use this in a slightly different dish.. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Belinda @zomppa — November 12, 2010 @ 12:42 am

I am absolutely not thinking Christmas. These are just what it takes to get me in the mood.

Confectionary Designs — November 12, 2010 @ 12:43 am

Clever combination of flavors! Thank you for sharing – it looks beautiful.

Queen of Cuisine — November 12, 2010 @ 1:12 am

This is a great recipe- I have a bag of cranberries and am going to make this RIGHT NOW!! Thanks.

Lisa.

Priya Sreeram — November 12, 2010 @ 2:04 am

whoa they look awesome ! wanna graab a few–:P

Julie M. — November 12, 2010 @ 2:06 am

Wow Sommer! These are almost too beautiful to eat! Great idea!

Reeni — November 12, 2010 @ 2:20 am

These are stunning! And sound positively delicious!

Megan — November 12, 2010 @ 3:07 am

Holy Cranberry! I am going to have to give these a whirl. They look beautiful and sound delicious. We have a lot of cooks in our family and we all are bringing *something special* to Thanksgiving this year. This might have to be my new treat! :)

My Kitchen in the Rockies — November 12, 2010 @ 4:31 am

They are so beautiful. What a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing!

karen — November 12, 2010 @ 4:33 am

Hi there! I love the recipes, clear instructions & delicious photography! May I know what camera you use for your shots? Thanks. Will keep coming back for more.

Eileen — November 12, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Wow! What a great idea. I am going to make these for Thanksgiving – for sure. Won't everyone be impressed! Do the cranberries soften much?

Yesim — November 12, 2010 @ 7:27 am

woow.. really it looks so good, great idea!

Cherine — November 12, 2010 @ 10:39 am

Gorgeous! i love cranberries!

Carolyn — November 12, 2010 @ 11:52 am

Well this is incredibly timely. I was just looking up how to make sugared cranberries for some desserts I have in mind this Christmas. Thanks! They look beautiful.

Kristen — November 12, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

Those are so pretty and festive. Thank you for a timely recipe!

Katerina — November 12, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

These are such great treats. I wish we had cranberries in Greece.

Kimberly @ Servantless American Cook — November 12, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

I live in Asheville as well and have always enjoyed seeing the gingerbread house competition! Every year my boyfriend and I enjoy some hot chocolate in the lounging area after looking at all the houses. The Nutcracker is such a treat, too! Your cranberries look delicious! What a festive idea!

Emily Malloy — November 12, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

1. You are the cutest creative ever. Yes, cuter than Kona.
    2. These are perfect!

Katie@Cozydelicious — November 12, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

Candies cranberries are my favorite thing ever! I made a whole bunch last year nd they were gobbled up in minutes. I used plain old simple syrup but lov ethe extra flavors in your version. Thanks for the reminder to make them again.

thelonelyradish.com — November 12, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

I love these! I love your pictures too :)

Winelady Cooks — November 12, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

What a terrific recipe. And I just love your photos. This is a great idea and looks so beautiful and festive.

Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

Green Girl @ A little bit of everything — November 12, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

Your sugared cranberries are so cute that I'd throw a party just to make them to show off to my guests :d
    thanks for sharing it

laura — November 12, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

Oh, beautiful, Sommer! These photos are gorgeous (as are you!)! I love the idea of making amazing edible decorations. You are helping me feel festive already – wish I were there to enjoy all the activities. ( :

EnglishGirlinBC — November 12, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

these look fabulous! I will definitely be making these at Christmas time!

Biren @ Roti n Rice — November 12, 2010 @ 11:02 pm

They look so pretty and festive. Great for the holiday table!

Monet — November 13, 2010 @ 12:26 am

What a wonderful idea! These sugared cranberries look gorgeous. I imagine that they would look beautiful on a holiday table. You are adorable, by the way. Thank you for sharing. I hope your weekend is full of love and fun.

Emily Z — November 13, 2010 @ 2:15 am

Hi, Sommer! I feel like we haven't chatted in a while, although I am not sure why! Let's remedy that! These cranberries look WONderful, and I love your dog, although I am rather partial to my own. ;)

Chow and Chatter — November 13, 2010 @ 4:48 am

wow love these and the snap of you and your dog is adorable

Marisa — November 13, 2010 @ 5:30 am

These are lovely for the holidays. The cranberries look like they are spinkled in snow! P.S. Your dog is very cute!

K o r i — November 13, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

What lovely photos and what a lovely idea! I am so excited the holidays are around the corner. Thanks for sharing your recipe and congrats on the top 9 too!!!

Lizzy — November 13, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

Beautiful!!!

Annie — November 13, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Those are so festive and pretty! They also look like their easy to make. I am going to give this one a try!

nancy@skinnykitchen.com — November 13, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

I too make sugared cranberries for a holiday garnish. Yours looks so festive!

Chef Dennis — November 13, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Sommer

those cranberries look amazing and are so simple to make!! I can't wait to try them!! Thanks so much for passing along this wonderful creation!
    Cheers
    Dennis

homepodge — November 13, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

They look beautiful and I bet they taste even better… and the cranberry infused syrup would make a delicious addition to some iced tea!

Torviewtoronto — November 14, 2010 @ 12:19 am

delicious way to eat cranberries

thespicegarden — November 14, 2010 @ 1:06 am

Haha! I see someone else is going for Christmas and holiday posts! In our house, we laugh when someone breaks the 'pre-Thanksgiving ban on all things Christmas'. BUT… yesterday, I baked a beautiful little spice cake and decked it out like Christmas… look on The Spice Garden! To great minds, Sommer! Cranberries and sugar decked cakes … deck the halls!

Shirley — November 14, 2010 @ 2:48 am

These are gorgeous! I'd hesitate to eat them at someone's house… they look like they're meant to be admired.

• Toni — November 6th, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

I made these for an event and I will be disappointed if no one eats them. They are delish!

WizzyTheStick — November 14, 2010 @ 3:29 am

These are so beautiful. No cranberries her ebut excited to try this with other fruit

Cake Duchess — November 14, 2010 @ 3:46 am

This photos is gorgeous! I want it to be my Christmas card. Can you photoshop in my kids? Delicious! Have a wonderful weekend!!

j e t s e t WISDOM — November 14, 2010 @ 4:49 am

You just helped me decide what to make for my (helpful) gate agents and flight attendant friends, while flying during the holiday season. I'm thinking in baby jelly jars, wrapped in striking burgandy toile with a little velvet ribbon! Love!!!!!

honeybeecooksjackfruit — November 14, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Wow so festive! Great idea.

Heavenly Housewife — November 14, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

What a wonderful flavour! These would be so beautiful on top of a cake as a decoration. It would be so pretty!
    *kisses* HH

M @ Betty Crapper — November 14, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

These are so pretty and festive. I wonder how much like sour candy they taste like.

5 Star Foodie — November 15, 2010 @ 2:29 am

Such pretty cranberries! The vanilla and orange flavor sounds excellent for sure!

The Mom Chef — November 15, 2010 @ 2:36 am

Wow…when I first saw the title, I have to admit that I wasn't interested, thinking that it would be raw cranberries. But the bath in the hot simple syrup would make them perfect. You're a genius.

Nirmala — November 15, 2010 @ 2:36 am

These ares stunningly simple. Now I just have to find fresh cranberries.

Magic of Spice — November 15, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

These are definitely pretty…wonderful flavors :)
    I just finished a cranberry dessert last night, these would have been lovely on the side :)

Kristy {Sweet Treats & More} — December 6, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Your cranberries are beautiful. I made some similar ones…mine got all clumpy! I'll have to try with orange and vanilla!

Fashion Meets Food — December 6, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

this is the cutest idea! I am going out to the store right now and buying some cranberries so I can do this as well. I am your newest follower.

xo

Taylor — December 7, 2010 @ 5:38 am

I've never had sugared cranberries…they sound delicious with the vanilla orange syrup! Perfect for the holidays!

LondonEats — February 16, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

What a great idea! I wish I had seen this in time for Christmas…but I just made some candied kumquats in syrup, so perhaps this is something I could try with them in the meantime. I’ve never wanted to try a Christmas recipe so early in the year. Well done!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — November 30, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Um, this is brilliant. I’m totally doing this!

Laura @ Family Spice — November 30, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Great idea! I’ve garnished cakes with candied cranberries before, but it required raw egg. And who would eat that?!

mjskit — November 30, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

I’ve always wondered if cranberries could be made into sweet berry bites and here you have it. This is just what I’ve been looking for. I bet it’s a bite of tart sweetness. Thanks for sharing!

denise — December 28, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

love this idea never heard of candies cranberries,,, They sound yummy

Vanessa C — December 29, 2011 @ 1:37 am

Not only beautiful to look at but an extremely user friendly recipe to make even for the novice of cooks. I will definitely be adding this to my recipe collection. Thank you so very much!

Greg — December 29, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Oh just saw these on Eat, Play, Love and can’t wait to try them!

Eileen — December 29, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

These are so beautiful sparkling in the bowl! I made a batch and although they are a little too sour for me, my husband and son (big fans of Sour Patch Kids) love them! Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

Jessica — December 16, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

Just noticing the grams do not equal the cups via Google search. Google says 12oz is equivalent to 1.5 cups. But the ingredients say 12oz is about 3 cups. Please clarify. Was planning on making these. Thanks.

krista — November 15, 2014 @ 10:05 am

Using different colored sugars is fun with these. We love to use the golds and silver.

1. Pingback: Quest for the Best Banana Bread and a Chopped Challenge « Eat, Play, Love

2. Pingback: Vanilla Orange Candied Cranberries | Cake 'n' KnifeCake 'n' Knife