Twice Baked Bourbon Hazelnut Sweet Potatoes

Twice Baked Bourbon Hazelnut Sweet Potatoes – This might just be the only sweet potato recipe you’ll ever need! Sweet and creamy with a hint of bourbon, and a nutty crumb topping.

Thanksgiving can be a little overwhelming for first time hosts. Heck, Thanksgiving can cause anxiety in award-winning chefs…don’t feel bad if the thought of it gives you hives!  Here are some helpful tips to get you off on the right track:

1. Pour yourself a glass of wine before you start planning.

2. Design a traditional Thanksgiving feast, but let your creative juices flow on the side dishes.

3. Organize the meal with your cookware, oven, and range in mind. How many sauce pots, pie pans, and baking dishes do you have available? Assign them to your dishes. Take the number of ovens and burners you have into consideration. That might help you decide between mashed sweet potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, or sweet potato pie!

4. Write down your menu, gather your recipes, then make a thorough grocery list. You don’t want to be running back to the store at the last minute!

5. Make a checklist of dishes to cook, and other preparations to be made. Try to plan what you are going to do on the days before, so your checklist isn’t as daunting Wednesday night!

6. Whenever anyone offers to bring an item, be ready to hand something off with a big “THANK YOU!” Some good items to delegate (or buy pre-made WITHOUT AN OUNCE OF GUILT)…

Your rolls! Homemade rolls or biscuits are wonderful, but if you are cooking Thanksgiving dinner on your own—this is one area to save time and work.
Desserts! If you have a GOOD bakery nearby, buying your pies is a real time saver. Guests bringing food often like the idea of making dessert…so let them!
Appetizers. Put light snacks out to keep your family/guests happy, while you’re wrapping things up in the kitchen.

7. Completely clear the table of all dishes from previous courses before serving dessert. That way, after dessert you can RELAX!

Here is the order in which I usually undertake Thanksgiving dinner…

4-6 Days Before

Shop and put the turkey in the fridge to thaw. DO NOT WAIT TO THAW YOUR TURKEY!

2 Days Before

Brine the Turkey. That’s right, BRINE IT! People, even so called experts, may try to tell you this is unnecessary, but from my experience (which in fairly substantial in the turkey department) you can’t get a bird as juicy and flavorful, with a GREAT crispy skin, without brining it. Don’t argue, just trust. *wink* I usually buy a brining bag, then put the whole bagged turkey in a bucket–a precaution against looming holiday disaster!

Prepare Sweet Potatoes, Make Cranberry Relish, Make Pumpkin Pies, Cut bread cubes for homemade stuffing and let sit out uncovered to dry

1 Day Before

Remove the turkey from the brine a full 24 hours before roasting, so the skin can dry out. Place it in a roasting pan in the fridge uncovered to speed up the drying process. Dry skin = crisp golden skin!

Clean the house. (Or hire someone to do it!)

Set the table.

Prepare the stuffing.

Make some iced tea, or other beverages.

Thanksgiving morning

Pour yourself a glass of wine…yes at 7 am or whatever time you start! It’s one day a year, people, and it will help keep your stress level down.

Prep the Turkey EARLY and get in the oven (Don’t forget to turn and baste!)

While the Turkey is Roasting

Prepare any side dishes that needed to be made fresh.

Pull out any items that may need to be reheated, and let them come to room temperature.<

Remove Turkey from Oven, COVER, and-

Bake the side dishes.

While side dishes are baking

Prepare Gravy, Green Veggies, and warm pre-made items.

SIT DOWN AND ENJOY YOURSELF! And secretly revel in the fact that you pulled in off and everything looks lovely, AND is hot at the same time!

Last, a favorite sweet potato recipe that is quick to put together (other than the roasting time). It’s a GREAT make-ahead. Plus it’s nice to have some side dishes that are prepared for individual servings–they just look pretty that way!

To make Twice Baked Bourbon Hazelnut Sweet Potatoes:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil the sweet potatoes and roast on rimmed baking sheet until very tender, 1 to 1 ½ hours. (You can nook them in the microwave to speed the roasting time!)

Cool slightly. Cut each potato in half and place the flesh of the top halves in a bowl—it should just fall out of the skin. Gently scoop the flesh out of the bottom halves and add it to the bowl, leaving a little around the edges for stability. Mix in the crème fraiche, 4 Tbs. butter, syrup, bourbon, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 3/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. salt and pepper to taste. Using a hand mixer (or immersion blender), puree until smooth.

Scoop the potato puree back into the bottom halves. Mix the remaining 2 Tb. of butter and ¼ tsp. nutmeg with the panko and chopped nuts. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the sweet potatoes. Bake another 15-20 minutes until warmed through and golden on top!

* These can be made 2-3 days in advance. If coming out of the fridge, bake 30-40 minutes–until warmed through or cheat and rewarm in the microwave. *smile* I won’t tell!

Yield: 6 servings

Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes

Twice Baked Bourbon-Hazelnut Sweet Potatoes

2 Tbs. veggie oil
3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 round, not skinny)
½ cup crème fraiche or cream cheese
6 tablespoons melted butter, divided
2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
¼ cup chopped hazelnuts (or pecans, walnuts...)
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper

Bake another 15-20 minutes until warmed through and golden on top!

* These can be made 2-3 days in advance. If coming out of the fridge, bake 30-40 minutes--until warmed through or cheat and rewarm in the microwave. *smile* I won't tell!

27 Responses to “Twice Baked Bourbon Hazelnut Sweet Potatoes”

Belinda @zomppa — November 15, 2010 @ 5:14 am

Guess it's time to start planning! Love this time of year, but I'm definitely behind. Sitting and enjoying is key.

Katerina — November 15, 2010 @ 7:50 am

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Greece but I will sure try these potatoes. They look very appetizing.

Cherine — November 15, 2010 @ 8:06 am

I love sweet potatoes and those look wonderful. Bookmarked!

Kristen — November 15, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

This is a great time table. Those sweet potatoes sound amazing. I love the crunch you put on top.

Lea Ann — November 15, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

The sweet potatos sound wonderful. I saw a couple of fabulous recipes, one for Rolled turkey breast stuffed with dressing (Ina) and anotehr for stuffed pumpkin with bread and cheese (Dori). I was momentarily tempted to create these show off dishes, but decided the old standard would be much less stressful. I love Thanksgiving, but it does have it's moments. :-)

Lindsey — November 15, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

Wow, those sweet potatoes look so yummy!

Torviewtoronto — November 15, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

delicious presentation of sweet potatoes yummy

High Plains Drifters — November 15, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

Step #1 is so key!! Sweet taters look amazing! Thanks and cheers!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — November 15, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

Your sweet potatoes look sooooo good! I'm definitely going to make them but without hazelnuts (I'm allergic). Mmm I seriously could eat all of those.
    I love your Thanksgiving tips too, very very helpful! :)

Emily Malloy — November 15, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

THUD.

I fell out of my chair over this one. It is amazing.

Julie — November 15, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

I made twice-baked sweet potatoes a few weeks back and thought they would be a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving. The hazelnuts are just the piece de resistance… I was gifted with a huge container of local ones last month. :)

jennaseverythingblog — November 15, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

All these tips are excellent! Thankfully I don't have to think too hard this year because my sister is hosting Thanksgiving and we're not getting to her house until late, late WEdnesday night. But I love your idea of serving a traditional meal but going crazy/creative with the side dishes. I'll keep that in mind for the year it's my turn to host . . . =)

Megan — November 15, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

You are wonderful! Thank you for all the planning tips. I always need help in that "organizational" area of my life! Beautiful sweet potatoes… a must dish for this time of year!

BigFatBaker — November 15, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

Your planning tips are so helpful. My house is always a disaster as me and my mom try and finish everything on time and about the same time as everything else. The sweet potatoes look fabulous as well!

Angie's Recipes — November 15, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

The twice baked sweet potatoes look flavoursome and delicious!

Karen — November 15, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

Great timeline! I particularly like that pouring yourself a glass of wine is #1. Definitely what I do! :)
    Your sweet potatoes look really delicious. I'm always trying to come up with new and interesting ways to serve them, and this sounds perfect.

• yvonne — November 20th, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

see post #20 for my recipe

• yvonne — November 20th, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

sorry that is post # 21

Chow and Chatter — November 15, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

great post and your right planning takes some stress away

Heather — November 15, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

Great tips (and funny!), and a truly wonderful sounding recipe. I'm drooling over here!

Katrina — June 19, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

Yum! Those would be dessert for me. But side dish works, too. ;)

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — November 2, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Oh my gosh. These are simply amazing! I can’t wait to try this!

yvonne — November 20, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

I like to bake my sweet potatoes. Cut fresh oranges in half and squeeze them.. Save the orange shells. scoop out the baked sweet potatoes. Mash them with some fresh orange juice, butter and brown sugar. Fill the orange shells with the mashed sweet potatoes. You can put 1-4 mini marshmellows on top ( kids will eat anything with marshmellows) and bake for a few minutes until they are heated through and slightly browned on top. YUM!

Ainee Beland — November 22, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Yummy recipes. I tend to suffer heart burn with the likes of food such as this. Yum just the same.

Thank you for sharing.

Corey — April 21, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

Going to try these for my birthday as a side dish along with a raspberry vinaigrette salad, grilled asparagus, & a big salmon fillet!! It’s going to be such an epic meal!!!! I am going to smother these bad@ss sweet potatoes with a bourbon reduction sauce and then add the toppings. Oh & with a nice glass of step 1 ;). So excited for my 25th birthday dinner!! Thanks

1. Pingback: Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes | livelovepasta

2. Pingback: » Menu Plan for the Week 11/27 – 12/3 and a link color question for you Ready. Set. Simplify.