Dulce de Leche and Nutella Thumbprints with Sea Salt

Dulce de Leche Thumbprints

I’m that girl. The one who can barely wait until after Thanksgiving dinner to crank UP the Christmas music. The one who pulls out the Christmas boxes the moment the Thanksgiving dishes are put away. The one who allows the kids to decorate the tree, then rearranges it after they’ve gone to bed. I can’t help myself.

As the song says, it’s the most wonderful time of the year! How can anyone argue with such a classic song? It’s a season of hope and new life. A season of forgiveness and peace. A season of thinking beyond yourself!

Salted Caramel Thumbprints

In effort to share this brimming holiday joy, I make batches, and  BATCHES…and batches of cookies to share with our neighbors, friends, and family.  This year I hope to share them all with you as well! I always stick with a few tried-and-true recipes, then branch out and experiment a little!

These cookies are one of my favorites. You just can’t beat the delicate buttery texture of good shortbread cookies. In fact, I’m often tempted to think EVERY cookie should start as a shortbread cookie! Add caramel or chocolate-hazelnut, top them with sea salt…and you have something utterly addictive, a swear-worthy cookie!

Salted Caramel Cookies

Thumbprints are easy to make. Your kids will have a marvelous time rolling the balls and making the thumbprints. Yet make sure an adult adds the hot caramel and chocolate! You can find canned Dulce de Leche at large supermarkets (either in the international section or baking aisle) or at a Latin market.

To make:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Scrape the bowl with a spatula. Turn the mixer on low and add the flour a little at a time, until it is just combined.

Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1 oz. balls—about 1 ½ tablespoons. Place them on the cookie sheets and make a deep indention in each cookie, with your thumb. Press any cracks back into place.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes. It will look like the craters have disappeared, but when the cookies cool, they’ll be back!

Scoop the Dulce de Leche into a quart-size freezer bag. Microwave it for 30-60 seconds until thin, like melted peanut butter. The bag may be hot, so wrap it in a small towel. Snip a hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze about 1 ½ tsp. of caramel into the centers of 24 cookies. Tap the cookies gently to help the caramel fill in the entire indention.

While the caramel is still a little tacky, sprinkle each cookie with course sea salt. Repeat this process with melted Nutella and the remaining 24 cookies.

Allow the Dulce de Leche and Nutella to cool for a little while before serving, so the centers can set.
*You could put them in the refrigerator to speed this up!

Nutella Thumbprints

Yield: 4 dozen cookies

Dulce de Leche and Nutella Thumbprints

4 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 lb.)
1 1/3 cups of sugar
1 ¼ tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. salt
4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 - 13 oz. can Nestle La Lechera, Dulce de Leche (caramel)
1 small jar Nutella
Course sea salt for sprinkling

*You could put them in the refrigerator to speed this up!

34 Responses to “Dulce de Leche and Nutella Thumbprints with Sea Salt”

Magic of Spice — December 3, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

I love these…and love the flavor! Too funny with the Holidays, I'm good as long as the Christmas music comes the day after Thanksgiving. I hate that they try and squeeze them ;0
    These are delightful!

The Mom Chef — December 5, 2010 @ 12:45 am

4 sticks of butter? FOUR? That's a stick per dozen. That's 3/4 of a tablespoon per cookie. Or something like that. Wow. These must be absolutely amazing. (They sure do look it.)

Gitte — December 6, 2010 @ 11:35 pm

Hey now…these look awesome. I think my son will go for these.

Susan — December 17, 2010 @ 2:21 am

Oh my – these look so amazing.

Susan You Go Girl! http://www.ugogrrl.com

Joel Scrivner — January 31, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Jen made these last night. Mmmmmmmm. Almost as good as when you made them at thanksgiving sis!

Angela FRS — August 17, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Well that is pretty brilliant, I must say–really amps up the whole thumbprint idea…

marla — August 17, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

As if these cookies weren’t all ready awesome. The sea salt puts ‘em over. LOVE this!

Kate@Diethood.com — August 18, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Mmmm. This is not helping my close-to-midnight sweets craving one bit. :)

WhiteSockGirl — September 21, 2011 @ 6:39 am

Gorgeous. I will grab this recipe and bribe someone to make them for me. Yeah, I am not a good cook, to put it mildly!

Susan in the Boonies — September 21, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

You had me at Nutella.

Michelle G — September 22, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

These look outrageously good!! I’m a Nutella addict, so I really want to try these! No electric mixer though…

Megan's Cookin' — October 2, 2011 @ 9:15 am

Now this taking thumbprint cookies up a level. These are on the Christmas rotation for this year!

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — November 8, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Love it! Dulce de Leche & Nutella oh my.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — November 9, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I love a little sea salt on cookies – it tames the sweetness and makes them so much better!

Kiwi — December 4, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

These look so good. I’m wondering if you have any experience with freezing them. I’d love to make them ahead of time for Christmas, but I’m wondering how well the caramel and salt would freeze.

• Sommer — December 4th, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

You know, I wouldn’t chance freezing the filling. What you could do, is make the cookie-bases early and freeze them. Then thaw and fill the centers the day you want to serve them.

Kay — December 9, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

Am I correct in assuming you melt the caramel, sprinkle with salt, melt the Nutella and sprinkle more salt?

• Sommer — December 10th, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Yep! I fill 2 dozen cookies with Nutella and 2 dozen with Dulce de Leche. :)

Mo — December 13, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

Sound super yummy…but just for clarification…recipe makes 48 cookies? 2 dozen with Nutella and 2 dozen with Dulce de Leche? You are not adding Nutella on top of Dulce de Leche-correct?

• Sommer — December 13th, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

Hi Mo, You got it!

Kacey B. — November 5, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

I made these and after about 12 minutes i smelled something burning. it was my cookies :( oven was on 350 and i used it earlier without any hiccups. I’m upset because i never burn anything :( what did i do wrong?

• Sommer — November 5th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

Bummer! Any chance you mis-measured the sugar? I did that once with this recipe and they went flat and burnt to a crisp. Just a thought… Hope you give them another go, this is one of my favorites!

Maria — December 8, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

How far ahead can these be made? I’m attending a cookie exchange on dec. 17 and I wanted to make them on the 15th. Also, how long will they keep?

• Sommer — December 9th, 2013 @ 6:58 am

Hi Maria, That should be fine. :)

1. Pingback: Bribe-the-Teacher Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies | Family Kitchen

2. Pingback: 100 Heavenly Nutella Recipes

3. Pingback: How Bazaar | Mireio Designs

4. Pingback: 25 recetas con Nutella. | cosas

5. Pingback: Christmas Cookie Recipes | Cookies | Beautifully Delicious

6. Pingback: California Dental CPA – CPA for Dentists | Michael & Company CPA

7. Pingback: The One with Too Many Cookies | Hello Morning Glory

8. Pingback: Last-Minute Holiday Sweets and Treats to Make Your Loved Ones Drool | California Home

9. Pingback: Last-Minute Holiday Sweets and Treats to Make Your Loved Ones Drool

10. Pingback: Cinnamon Roll Cookies | A Spicy Perspective