celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Roasted Fish Bruschetta

Simple=FANTASTIC with Roasted Fish Bruschetta!

After rambling on about Chinese Fusion Food, Halloween and Corn Mazes last week, I thought I’d cut you a break today with a quickie write-up and a quickie dinner!

First, a few fun quotes for your reading enjoyment…don’t you just love quotes?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good, is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.  ~Dennis Wholey

A bagel is a doughnut with the sin removed. ~George Rosenbaum

There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won’t, and that’s a wife who can’t cook and will. ~Robert Frost

Condensed milk is wonderful. I don’t see how they can get a cow to sit down on those little cans. ~Fred Allen

He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters. ~James I

All sorrows are less with bread. ~Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

It’s so beautifully arranged on the plate – you KNOW someone’s fingers have been all over it. ~Julia Child<

Alright. Here is a quick and delightful meal that is perfect for nearly any occasion. Of course, as the main dish at lunch or dinner. Yet this is also a lovely first-course at a dinner party, could be miniaturized for appetizers, or even be served as brunch!

There are three things that really elevate this dish and should not be overlooked.

First, choose a tender, flaky white fish with a buttery note. Orange Roughy or Seabass would be the perfect choice, if they weren’t on the “At Risk List”. Instead try Swai, Mon chong, Ono (wahoo), Halibut, or Trout.

Second, chopped anchovy (or anchovy paste) provides a pungent earthy depth to the tomato sauce that simply couldn’t be reached otherwise–even if it were simmered all day under the watchful eye of an Italian Nana. Don’t be tempted to skip the anchovy–it MAKES the dish!

Third, FRESH basil ribbons. Enough said!

To prepare:

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1 Tb. of oil, onions and anchovies. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste. Salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, pat the fish with a paper towel. Then lightly oil, salt and pepper on both sides. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet for 6-8 minutes–depending on the thickness of the fish.

Brush the bread with olive oil and toast in the oven for 3-5 minutes. *You could put them on a lower rack with the fish to save time!

Stack the basil leaves. Roll them into a tight cylinder. Slice them thin into fine ribbons.

To assemble the bruschetta, top bread with a fish fillets. Then add tomato sauce and sprinkle fresh basil ribbons. Serve immediately.

Roasted Fish Bruschetta

Yield: 4 servings

1 lb. ripe tomatoes, chopped
½ cup finely chopped onion
5-6 anchovy fillets, minced (or 2 tsp. anchovy paste)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tb. tomato paste
4 white fish fillets, or 1 large fillet cut into 4 pieces
4- 1 inch slices of country bread
½ cup fresh basil leaves
Oil, salt and pepper

Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, pat the fish with a paper towel. Then lightly oil, salt and pepper on both sides. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet for 6-8 minutes--depending on the thickness of the fish.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

61 Responses to “Roasted Fish Bruschetta”

1. Nisrine@dinners and dreamsposted October 14, 2010 at 2:14 am

Simple and fantastic indeed + beautiful to look at and healthy.

2. penny aka jeroxieposted October 14, 2010 at 3:47 am

Indeed fantastic!

3. The Cilantropistposted October 14, 2010 at 4:17 am

This sounds fabulous and such a unique idea! I will definitely have to do this in the future to serve as an appetizer for dinner. :)

4. Monetposted October 14, 2010 at 5:10 am

Just stunning…basil ribbons alone made me swoon! And I love the collection of food quotes you shared! I'm writing down the bread quote from Don Quixote right now. Thank you for sharing. Lovely recipe and lovely words!

5. Sophieposted October 14, 2010 at 5:50 am

A georgous fish bruschetta this is!!

MMMMMMM,…Looks so inviting too!

6. stefaniaposted October 14, 2010 at 6:36 am

Una vera delizia complimenti, ciao e grazie per questa bella idea di bruschetta !

7. fromBAtoParisposted October 14, 2010 at 6:42 am

Thank you !!!! Great idea for tonight !!! Great way to introduce fish to my ados!

8. MaryMohposted October 14, 2010 at 6:49 am

That looks simple and yet delicious. Love it! Beautiful photos!

9. Cherineposted October 14, 2010 at 7:11 am

Wonderful idea. Simple, fantastic, yummy and beautiful!!

10. Dimahposted October 14, 2010 at 7:45 am

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious!

11. Angie's Recipesposted October 14, 2010 at 9:34 am

Looks totally delicious! Exactly my type of food.

12. Valposted October 14, 2010 at 9:41 am

I couldn't agree more with your post title. I am an eager advocate of "less is more" and try hard to achieve that with cooking. It's quite easy to get carried away though.

Lovely dish. I think I'm going to be craving this until I make it (I better go get me some fish then!).

13. Devakiposted October 14, 2010 at 9:53 am

So beautiful and delectable! Lovely in every respect, Sommer

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

14. Rosa's Yummy Yumsposted October 14, 2010 at 10:01 am

A splendid and original bruschetta! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

15. She's Cookin'posted October 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

Yes, the simple things in life are best,indeed! Vibrant colors, delicious, and nutritious – love it!

16. Suchitraposted October 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm

looks great- guess i could substitute veggies for fish!

17. apiciusapprenticeposted October 14, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I really love the photography on this post. Will have to try this recipe. Thank you!

18. Claudiaposted October 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

You know that makes my heart sing – all fresh and herby and light. Presentation is beautiful – you just know someone's hands were all over it….

19. Emily Zposted October 14, 2010 at 2:44 pm

How interesting, I have never thought of fish in bruschetta before. But I envision this bring great for a nice Sunday brunch or something… I also love quotes, and I love the first one!

20. Susiposted October 14, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I've never seen fish on a bruschetta before but it sounds and looks amazing! Beautiful pictures as well and I love the Julia Child quote at the end LOL

21. Annaposted October 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm

OMG! It is Fantastic…looks amazing and must be so yummy. Loved your pictures, the last one is stunning.

22. Tiffanyposted October 14, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Fabulous post! I am loving your photography, great job!

23. Emily Malloyposted October 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Simply gawgeous dahling.

24. Carolynposted October 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Oh my, I'd say that in this case, simple is absolutely the best. Those look wonderful!

25. blackbookkitchendiariesposted October 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm

how beautiful! i love recipe, it's a definate keeper:)

26. claireposted October 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm

your photos are beautiful as always! Thoughts on making this with tilapia or mahi mahi?

27. Victoria K.posted October 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Wow, look at that color, the bright red is making me think it's still summer!! This looks like such a fresh, delicious, simple, but refined dish. Great job!

28. Katerinaposted October 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I love your vesion of bruschetta. It is such a versatile appetizer.

29. 5 Star Foodieposted October 14, 2010 at 6:41 pm

A terrific bruschetta – it looks gorgeous with all the bright colors and sounds super delicious!

30. Debbieposted October 14, 2010 at 7:11 pm

What a fabulous meal idea! Never thought to combine bruschetta with a meat. THanks

31. Chow and Chatterposted October 14, 2010 at 7:26 pm

looks great i also love simple and those quotes are great you should tweet them thanks for taking a look at my site hugs Rebecca

32. Stellaposted October 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Sommer! This looks wonderful. I love fish-it's my meat when I'm jonesin' (smile). I'm going to make a bruschetta like this next time I get my hands on some fresh, wild fish!

33. pigpigscornerposted October 14, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Beautiful! Simple and delicious.

34. sensiblecookingposted October 14, 2010 at 9:15 pm

That is such a wonderful twist to normal Bruschetta. I was introduced to Bruschetta by my friend and since then loving it. Oh I can't wait to return the favor with this recipe. She will love it.

35. A Little Yumminessposted October 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Love simple and fantastic :). This begs for a glass of wine….

36. sweetlifeposted October 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm

All sorrows are less with bread, love it…or in my case a warm tortilla slathered with butter..lol perfect quick post I would love to serve this on date night with a great glass of wine…yummy post

sweetlife

37. Chef Dennisposted October 14, 2010 at 11:06 pm

what beautiful images of such an incredible bruschetta! I would never have thought of fish on those lovely toasts! Now thats thinking outside the box!

38. Katie@Cozydeliciousposted October 15, 2010 at 1:23 am

Ohhh, what a great easy meal. Nice and light – I love it! And your pictures are beautiful.

39. Baking Barristerposted October 15, 2010 at 5:44 am

cngrats on the top 9! i would eat this up in a minute. It's beautiful and i imagine it tastes amazing. i love sea bass, btw. sigh.

40. jennynoowynposted October 15, 2010 at 10:14 am

Often the most simple recipes are the best. This looks great, thanks for sharing

41. Biren @ Roti n Riceposted October 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Looks so lovely and tasty! Sure wouldn't mind having some for lunch.

42. Nirmalaposted October 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I love how simple and quickly this comes together. I bet it might also be good with salmon. I make a dish similar to this minus the toast.

43. The Simple Skilletposted October 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm

This looks and sounds awesome. I know I just had breakfast, but I' getting hungry looking at it!

44. Magic of Spiceposted October 15, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Very lovely dish…perfect for an easy but delightful meal :)

45. Annaposted October 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Oh yes! I knew you would make to top 9. That is a gorgeous yummy picture.
    Congrats girl. Have a wonderful Friday.

46. A SPICY PERSPECTIVEposted October 15, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Hey Claire~

I have made this with tilapia, but I find it's better with the richness of a white fish that has a natural buttery flavor. But really, you can't go wrong–pick what you like that's the freshest!

47. Imwaytoobusyposted October 15, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I'm a simple recipe girl! This looks fantastic!

48. julieposted October 16, 2010 at 1:57 am

It looks delicious Sommer! So simple and yet elegant!

49. The Mom Chefposted October 16, 2010 at 2:44 am

Oh Sommer, this looks fantastic. It brings summer right back into the house! But, c'mon…give us French our due; cutting basil into ribbons? Chiffonade. It's a gorgeous, wonderful word that means cutting leaves (basil, salad, etc.) into ribbons. :)

50. daphneposted October 16, 2010 at 2:48 am

This looks like such a simple, quick recipe, ill have to try it soon!

51. Gitteposted October 16, 2010 at 9:07 am

Looks very very delicious. I would not have thought of fish for a Bruschetta but it sounds simply wonderful.

52. newlywedposted October 16, 2010 at 1:36 pm

This looks so yummy, simple, and healthful. Thank you for sharing.

53. Susanposted October 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Inspired! So simple, but the flavors! Well done!

54. Shirleyposted October 17, 2010 at 3:20 am

I've never heard of fish bruschetta, but this looks delicious. And you know I love them quotes!

55. denise @ quickies on the dinner tableposted October 17, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Yes, yes, YES to anchovies!! Shame many shy away from them…this is simple, beautiful and definitely kick ass delicious! Beautiful photos too!

56. Wheels and Lollipopsposted October 18, 2010 at 10:14 am

This reminds me of a dish that I had in Portugal it was essentially the same but made with Cod fish and no tomatoes, just really good olive oil and garlic.

57. She's Cookin'posted October 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Congrats on the Top 9! We all knew it was a winner! I just got back from out of town and had more tomatoes – so I just may riff on your recipe tonight :)

58. Gourmet Gadget Galposted October 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm

This looks delicious. Don't you wish this is the kind of "fish" sandwich you could get when you are on the road!

59. CLAIREposted March 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm

i just posted a link here as some of my fav fish recipes! thanks for sharing!

60. Sommer Jposted December 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm

oh my!! i am sure this is as delicious as it looks!

61. Pingback: 22 Bruschetta Recipes - Culinary Arts Network