Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa

This is my last post before Halloween night. I wanted to squeeze in one more party food before the weekend! Drum roll for Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa.

I’ll be extremely busy the next few days prepping food, finishing the decorations, deciding what to wear… Seriously, what is my problem this year? I always have my costume picked out MONTHS in advance. This year? No clue. It will be thrown together exciting to say the least!

Certain flavors just SCREAM fall. Pumpkin, acorn squash, apples, caramel, maple…corn. Some people think of corn as a summer food, but to me, corn is for fall. In my mind corn symbolizes “harvest”. So as my last little nibble for the Halloween Extravaganza, I give you Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa!

These babies are extremely versatile. They make perfect little party bites, but could also be made as 4 inch cakes for a hearty side dish, a vegetarian meal, or the base of a savory south-west breakfast! They taste great warm and at room temperature, and the citrus in the salsa does a fine job of keeping the avocado green throughout the course of the evening! You could actually make the corn cakes hours, even a couple days before. Then reheat them for your event.

Have a Spook-Tacular (and safe) Halloween weekend!

To make:

Combine all dry ingredients for the corn cakes, in a large bowl.

Whisk well, then add everything else—butter last, stirring continuously until smooth. Heat a skillet (or griddle) to medium-high.

Brush (or spray) both skillets with oil or butter. Using a tablespoon scoop; pour corn cake mixture in the other skillet cooking 1-2 minutes per side. Work in small batches.

While the corn cakes are cooking, mix all the ingredients for the avocado salsa.

Yield: 12 servings

2 clove garlic, mined
3 Tbs. cilantro
1 jalapeño, diced
½ lime, juiced
3 Tb. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all dry ingredients for the corn cakes, in a large bowl.

Serve the corn cakes with a small scoop of salsa on top, or pile them on a platter with the salsa on the side!

Make 50-60 corn cakes.

* If making as a side dish, use a 1/4 cup scoop!

73 Responses to “Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa”

citronetvanille — October 28, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Oh you make me feel like getting into that halloween mood too. It's my BF's birthday (oct 31 st too) and his parents are coming from France so I really need to cook, and this is really a perfect snack. Gorgeous photos!

My Kitchen in the Rockies — October 28, 2010 @ 4:17 am

Most of my dishes are Villeroy & Boch. You should fly home with me one day and come to Metlach to their factory sale. Just wonderful!
    What a wonderful idea to use spicy little pancakes as an appetizer. I am sure they are very tasty with the avocado salsa.

Katerina — October 28, 2010 @ 4:44 am

This is a great appetizer to serve before a friendly dinner as well. I love it!

Cherine — October 28, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Great recipe and great Halloween spirit :)

Lea Ann — October 28, 2010 @ 11:50 am

I love those serving dishes. And these little pancakes are a marvelous and delicious idea. Another bookmarked!

Laurie @simplyscratch — October 28, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

I love jalapenos!!!! This looks really delicious!

apiciusapprentice — October 28, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

Yet another recipe I am bookmarking as "To Try". I love the idea of jalapeno mini cakes! Have I mentioned how much I love this site?

Emily Z — October 28, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

These look like a great party food, and something many of my friends would totally love. Have a great Halloween!

Victoria K. — October 28, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

These look adorable! I think of corn as a good summer/fall veg though it's not as common in fall dishes. You should totally serve this at your party :)

Kristen — October 28, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

Those look and sound wonderful!

I tagged you and gave you an award over at my sight.

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — October 28, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

Your corn cakes couldn't be more perfect !!! With your permission, I will use it for some Argentinian preparation (I will link you!)
    Have a great Halloween weekend !! Nothing special here…sniff sniff!!!

The Simple Skillet — October 28, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

YUM…can't wait to try this. I need an appetizer for a party Sat night…will try them!

Torviewtoronto — October 28, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

delicious healthy lovely pictures

Miss Meat and Potatoes — October 28, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

What a wonderful, Halloween-perfect recipe (or for any day of the year in my book.) Thanks so much for sharing and best of luck with your costume. Oh – and Happy Halloween:)

Susi — October 28, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

I have quite a few Villeroy & Boch pieces as well! Your serving dish is absolutely stunning! Love this recipe and will be bookmarking it! Your corn cakes look perfect and your pictures make me want to reach out and grab a few! Beautiful :o)
    Happy Halloween! Hope you have a blast this weekend!

bunkycooks — October 28, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

What a nice little appetizer for a party! Have a great Halloween. :)

Kim - Liv Life — October 28, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

Mmm!! An excellent appetizer! I'm headed to a party on Saturday as well, actually did pick out my costume early this year, we are Tacky Hawaiian Tourists! I'm a bit of a food snob and don't do well at buffets… the best part of this one is that the t-shirt to the costume says 'Which way to the buffet?" It will be funny.
    These spicy cakes are perfect! I may switch what I'm bringing and do these! Thanks, good luck with your costume!

Yesim — October 28, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

looks delicioussssssssss

Anna — October 28, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

Awwww…they look so cute and delicious. Lovely idea, Love that they are a little spicy. Have a great Halloween Sommer. :-)

Tiffany — October 28, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

What a perfectly delicious party food! I'm not having a party, but I am making these for sure!

Heather — October 28, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

These look so wonderful!! What a great appetizer.

Belinda @zomppa — October 28, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

Ooo! These are calling my name! Gorgeous color.

Jenni — October 28, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

I audibly gasped because these bad boys look so amazing.

Emily Malloy — October 28, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

Um. I'm obsessed with this. Mmmk?!

Winelady Cooks — October 28, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

First I must congratulate you on your terrific photos. Then of course this recipe looks divine. I must give it a try. Our family loves corn in or with almost anything.

Happy & Safe Halloween to you! I'm sure you'll look fabulous.
    Joanne

Katie@Cozydelicious — October 28, 2010 @ 8:56 pm

These look delish! Your little cakes are the perfect munchie. But I'm sure I could make a meal of these guys – especially with all that avocado!

Lawyer Loves Lunch — October 28, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

I love that your party food is so sophisticated yet simple. Truth be told, I could eat these for a meal :)

BigFatBaker — October 28, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

These look so good! They would be great in place of a tortilla, can't wait to try your recipe!

Vegolicious — October 28, 2010 @ 11:01 pm

Fantastic recipe.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian dishes and recipes on the web.

Stella — October 28, 2010 @ 11:16 pm

Yum, Sommer! Your corn cakes look like perfect little discs of corn fluff. I can never get cookies or pancakes perfectly alike;) Ooh, and the salsa sounds so good with it too. This is so Aztec…or something like that (smile).

Eileen — October 28, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

Those corn cakes & salsa look delish! What time it the party? I want to make sure I have enough time to get there – lol…

Reeni — October 29, 2010 @ 1:04 am

What delicious little corn cakes! The salsa sounds perfect with them! Have a great Halloween!

Lora — October 29, 2010 @ 2:02 am

I love these flavors! Fabulous recipe. Thanks. Happy Halloween!

Monet — October 29, 2010 @ 5:35 am

What a wonderful dish to serve at a party! Your cakes look just splendid on that platter with that fresh salsa. I want to dig right in. I hope that your Halloween weekend is full of love, laughter and a lot of good, ghoulish treats!

sophia — October 29, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Oh man. I must, I must, I must. I must try this dish out. I can just hardly wait to sink my teeth into one of those cakes, and have the juicy kernels flow sweet nectar into my mouth, and then that kick of the jalapenos! Wow!

Priya Sreeram — October 29, 2010 @ 8:33 am

great looking recipe, fab presentation and wishing u a spook(fab)ubulous halloweeen!

Dimah — October 29, 2010 @ 9:15 am

What a great recipe! These look so awesome!

thelonelyradish.com — October 29, 2010 @ 10:55 am

Bootiful ;)

5 Star Foodie — October 29, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

The corncakes sound fantastic with jalapenos i n them! And perfect with avocado salsa!

briarrose — October 29, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

What a great party food. I always love to see something different than the usual snackums. ;)

Carolyn — October 29, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

The corn cakes look great, but the avocado salsa is what really caught my eye. It looks so delicious and fresh!

Medifast Coupon — October 29, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

Seriously nice looking serving dish, I am going to have to look into getting myself one of those.

Oh and did love the recipe too, sorry I am in awe of the dish.

Karen — October 29, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

I am so addicted to appetizers…I could eat them in place of entrees any day. These are amazing! I love that they are miniature…perfect for parties. Great flavors and great idea!

sweetlife — October 29, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

perfect creation for a spicy halloween, have fun and can't wait to see your pics….

sweetlife

Suchitra — October 29, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

lovely lovely recipe- makes my mouth water looking at the pics!

blackbookkitchendiaries — October 29, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

they look very adoreable:) and the recipe is a keeper. thank you for sharing.

M @ Betty Crapper — October 29, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

So beautiful I could eat my screen. I love all the ingredients in this and will definitely bookmark it to make soon.

A Little Yumminess — October 30, 2010 @ 3:25 am

This is a party I would want to be at. I love Jalapeno anything. Only problem is I would probably eat like 100 of these!

Liz — October 30, 2010 @ 4:12 am

This is great! Looks just delightful! I love the corn cakes! And I have a ton of avocados right now, so this is perfect!

The Urban Baker — October 30, 2010 @ 4:22 am

you are so right, this is the perfect party snack! looks yummy!

Angie's Recipes — October 30, 2010 @ 5:02 am

This looks so beautiful and delicious. Absolutely a party snack winner!
    I wish you a wonderful weekend!
    Angie

julie — October 30, 2010 @ 11:35 am

These are a perfect party bit Sommer! You really do come up with some delicious recipes!

Have a wonderful Halloween and I'll be expecting you to blog about that amazing party you're having AND show off your outdoor lights. I'm betting they will be amazing!

Janet — October 30, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

Great recipe. Just wondering…is this finger food or do you need to eat with a fork?

Nirmala — October 30, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

You have incredible holiday spirit. It's kind of contagious. I love these little appetizers and easy to make. I love that about your recipes.

Happy Halloween!

claire — October 31, 2010 @ 11:15 pm

these are too cute. I love how you showed all of the steps! looks great!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table — November 1, 2010 @ 9:28 am

Wow Sommer! You think up the most intriguing and tempting combinations! The corn cakes, the salsa, each perfect on its own and yet complementing each other so well!!

Sophie — November 1, 2010 @ 11:26 am

Lovely corn cakes, my friend!! That salsa rocks!!

MMMMMMM,..excellent entertaining fod!

My Carolina Kitchen — November 1, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

Oh my gosh, these babies are calling my name. Everything I love is here.

I grew up in the south and I can never get enough cornbread. And you added jalapenos to them. Oooh, la, la.
    Sam

laura — November 2, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Sommer, these sound perfect. I adore avocado salsa and the corn cakes with jalapenos sounds like the ideal pairing. The next time I have a party, I will be using all your recipes! ( :

honeybeecooksjackfruit — November 5, 2010 @ 2:02 am

Your corn cakes look so adorable! I have a post on the same in the works… Main difference in mine is chopped red onion. I lovvve your salsa too. I can have salsa with anything and everything!

The Mistress of Spices — September 9, 2011 @ 5:21 am

Does this recipe really make 50-60 cakes? It sounds great and I’m thinking of making them for a party this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

• Sommer — September 9th, 2011 @ 6:04 am

It does, but they are small. About 2-3 inches.

Rani Krish — September 21, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

I just tried this and it was delicious!!!!!!!! going to try many of the recipes from the site!!!!!
    thank you.

Micki — February 19, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

I can’t find the recipe for these delicious looking corn cakes.

Oksana — April 9, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

Hi, I cant seem to find the recipe…am I not looking in the right place?

Christy — May 11, 2013 @ 6:42 am

Where’s the ingredient list? I can’t seem to find it. =(

Suzy — June 2, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Where is the ingredients list?

• Sommer — June 2nd, 2013 @ 11:01 am

Hi Suzy, Not sure what happened, but the recipe box code was missing. Fixed!

1. Pingback: Super Bowls and Plates for Entertaining — Villeroy & Boch Blog