Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa

This is my last post before Halloween night. I wanted to squeeze in one more party food before the weekend! Drum roll for Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa.

I’ll be extremely busy the next few days prepping food, finishing the decorations, deciding what to wear… Seriously, what is my problem this year? I always have my costume picked out MONTHS in advance. This year? No clue. It will be thrown together exciting to say the least!

Certain flavors just SCREAM fall. Pumpkin, acorn squash, apples, caramel, maple…corn. Some people think of corn as a summer food, but to me, corn is for fall. In my mind corn symbolizes “harvest”. So as my last little nibble for the Halloween Extravaganza, I give you Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa!

These babies are extremely versatile. They make perfect little party bites, but could also be made as 4 inch cakes for a hearty side dish, a vegetarian meal, or the base of a savory south-west breakfast! They taste great warm and at room temperature, and the citrus in the salsa does a fine job of keeping the avocado green throughout the course of the evening! You could actually make the corn cakes hours, even a couple days before. Then reheat them for your event.

Have a Spook-Tacular (and safe) Halloween weekend!

To make:

Combine all dry ingredients for the corn cakes, in a large bowl.

Whisk well, then add everything else—butter last, stirring continuously until smooth. Heat a skillet (or griddle) to medium-high.

Brush (or spray) both skillets with oil or butter. Using a tablespoon scoop; pour corn cake mixture in the other skillet cooking 1-2 minutes per side. Work in small batches.

While the corn cakes are cooking, mix all the ingredients for the avocado salsa.

Yield: 12 servings

2 clove garlic, mined
3 Tbs. cilantro
1 jalapeño, diced
½ lime, juiced
3 Tb. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all dry ingredients for the corn cakes, in a large bowl.

Serve the corn cakes with a small scoop of salsa on top, or pile them on a platter with the salsa on the side!

Make 50-60 corn cakes.

* If making as a side dish, use a 1/4 cup scoop!

73 Responses to “Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa”

Angie's Recipes — October 30, 2010 @ 5:02 am

This looks so beautiful and delicious. Absolutely a party snack winner!
    I wish you a wonderful weekend!
    Angie

julie — October 30, 2010 @ 11:35 am

These are a perfect party bit Sommer! You really do come up with some delicious recipes!

Have a wonderful Halloween and I'll be expecting you to blog about that amazing party you're having AND show off your outdoor lights. I'm betting they will be amazing!

Janet — October 30, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

Great recipe. Just wondering…is this finger food or do you need to eat with a fork?

Nirmala — October 30, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

You have incredible holiday spirit. It's kind of contagious. I love these little appetizers and easy to make. I love that about your recipes.

Happy Halloween!

claire — October 31, 2010 @ 11:15 pm

these are too cute. I love how you showed all of the steps! looks great!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table — November 1, 2010 @ 9:28 am

Wow Sommer! You think up the most intriguing and tempting combinations! The corn cakes, the salsa, each perfect on its own and yet complementing each other so well!!

Sophie — November 1, 2010 @ 11:26 am

Lovely corn cakes, my friend!! That salsa rocks!!

MMMMMMM,..excellent entertaining fod!

My Carolina Kitchen — November 1, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

Oh my gosh, these babies are calling my name. Everything I love is here.

I grew up in the south and I can never get enough cornbread. And you added jalapenos to them. Oooh, la, la.
    Sam

laura — November 2, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Sommer, these sound perfect. I adore avocado salsa and the corn cakes with jalapenos sounds like the ideal pairing. The next time I have a party, I will be using all your recipes! ( :

honeybeecooksjackfruit — November 5, 2010 @ 2:02 am

Your corn cakes look so adorable! I have a post on the same in the works… Main difference in mine is chopped red onion. I lovvve your salsa too. I can have salsa with anything and everything!

The Mistress of Spices — September 9, 2011 @ 5:21 am

Does this recipe really make 50-60 cakes? It sounds great and I’m thinking of making them for a party this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

• Sommer — September 9th, 2011 @ 6:04 am

It does, but they are small. About 2-3 inches.

Rani Krish — September 21, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

I just tried this and it was delicious!!!!!!!! going to try many of the recipes from the site!!!!!
    thank you.

Micki — February 19, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

I can’t find the recipe for these delicious looking corn cakes.

Oksana — April 9, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

Hi, I cant seem to find the recipe…am I not looking in the right place?

Christy — May 11, 2013 @ 6:42 am

Where’s the ingredient list? I can’t seem to find it. =(

Suzy — June 2, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Where is the ingredients list?

• Sommer — June 2nd, 2013 @ 11:01 am

Hi Suzy, Not sure what happened, but the recipe box code was missing. Fixed!

1. Pingback: Super Bowls and Plates for Entertaining — Villeroy & Boch Blog