celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Pepita Crusted Chicken Salad with Sweet Adobo Vinaigrette

Moderation, and Pepita Crusted Chicken Salad with Sweet Adobo Vinaigrette.

Maybe you’ve noticed a trend here on ASP…dessert, healthy dish, dessert, healthy dish, dessert, healthy dish.

Well, to offer full disclosure the REAL cycle is:  dessert, SCALE, workout, healthy low-carb meal, dessert, scale, *SIGH*, workout, low-carb meal! I know what you’re thinking…silly girl, just stop eating dessert.

I’m a big believer in the “all things in moderation” philosophy. Something I have to remind myself of when I’m sitting in front a a big plate of cookies!

So here is a healthy “post dessert-binge” chicken salad that is wonderfully balanced in flavor and nutrition. You get protein from lean organic chicken breasts, good fats from the pepitas and avocados, vitamin rich greens and mangos, and light carbs from the jicama and adobo dressing.

As for tempting the taste buds, you’ll experience an amalgamation of  sweet versus spicy, creamy versus crunchy, silky versus crisp, and cool versus hot! This meal is yin-yang heaven!

There’s no secret to balance. You just have to feel the waves. ~Frank Herbert

To prepare Pepita Crusted Chicken Salad with Sweet Adobo Vinaigrette:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and move the oven rack to the upper-middle position. Place a piece of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet.

Prepare 3 small pans: one with chopped pepitas, one with 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk whisked together, and one with a mixture of flour, cumin slat and pepper.

Dip the chicken in the flour mixture. Shake off the excess, then dip it in the egg wash, followed by the chopped pepitas. Lay the coated chicken on the baking sheet and repeat with the rest.

Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts. *For chicken tenders bake 15 minutes.

While baking, prepare four salad plates with a bed of romaine, followed by thin slivers of mango, avocado, jicama, and red onion.

Whisk together the adobo sauce, oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon, and salt.

Once the chicken is cooked, allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes. Then top each salad with a chicken breast and drizzle the salad with abodo vinaigrette!

Pepita Crusted Chicken Salad with Sweet Adobo Vinaigrette

For the chicken:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (could use chicken tenders)
3 Tb. flour
1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 egg
1 Tb. milk (or water)
1 cup roughly chopped pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or pistachios

For the salad:
1 head romaine, hand torn
1 mango, peeled and thinly sliced
1 ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup peeled and thinly sliced jicama
½ a small red onion, thinly sliced

For the dressing:
1 Tb. strain adobo sauce (from chipotle pepper can)
1/3 cup oil
2 Tb. red wine vinegar
1 ½ Tb. honey
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. salt

Whisk together the adobo sauce, oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon, and salt.
Once the chicken is cooked, allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes. Then top each salad with a chicken breast and drizzle with abodo vinaigrette!

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

39 Responses to “Pepita Crusted Chicken Salad with Sweet Adobo Vinaigrette”

1. Chow and Chatterposted September 30, 2010 at 1:28 am

wow this is cool new to me love your cycle oh balance he he can;t wait to meet you next week email your tel Rebecca

2. My Kitchen in the Rockiesposted September 30, 2010 at 2:19 am

No, I love the healthy approach! We would like to eat that for dinner as well. My husband really like the adobe sauce peppers.

3. Cake Duchessposted September 30, 2010 at 2:33 am

I am in love with this chicken recipe. I'm happy I came across your wonderful blog. :)
    Lora

4. Healthy Mammaposted September 30, 2010 at 2:43 am

Oh my goodness, this sounds perfect! I'm sooooo excited to try this, maybe with a firm fish… cutting wayyy down on chicken. I love how the pepitas are still mostly in tact, what a wonderful crunchy addition!
    I like how you post the nutritional info in your posts ;-)
    great pics too, very informative.

5. Magic of Spiceposted September 30, 2010 at 3:03 am

Wow this is wonderful, and so unique. Love the dish :)

6. apiciusapprenticeposted September 30, 2010 at 3:22 am

I have to attempt this. I think it may be above my level, but I love pepitas!

7. denise @ quickies on the dinner tableposted September 30, 2010 at 3:56 am

Love how you're always thinking outside the box Sommer! Never seen pepitas crusting meat before – I know I would love this for that alone but the salad and that adobo dressing too? It's almost too much – too much of a wonderful thing!

Balance is good…… but I still get dessert, right? ;)

8. Monetposted September 30, 2010 at 5:04 am

What an amazing chicken dish! I love the idea of coating a chicken breast with pepitas…I've never thought of that before. And your salad looks fresh and flavorful. I'm glad that I stumbled on your blog tonight. This is a winner!

9. alisonposted September 30, 2010 at 5:07 am

this chicken dish looks perfect!such a great idea with that crust!

10. Katerinaposted September 30, 2010 at 7:30 am

I loved it to say the least. It must taste heavenly and its presentation is fantastic.

11. Cherineposted September 30, 2010 at 8:03 am

This dish looks absolutely tasty!!

12. Susan @ The Spice Gardenposted September 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Love the pepita crusting on this chicken breast! Great piquant flavors to this dish! And… that's how you get a mango cut into uniform pieces … good photo tutorial goin' on there!

Thanks for stopping by my little bit of cyberspace! Come back often!

13. Kristenposted September 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, that moderation thing is a killer….love the idea of a pepita crust on chicken. It looks really good.

14. sweetlifeposted September 30, 2010 at 4:08 pm

love this, I make something similar with shrimp..yummy Oh and the salad..love jicama and mango together that combo is always a winner

sweetlife

15. Victoria K.posted September 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I've never thought to crust chicken with pumpkin seeds! What a brilliant idea! I bet this tasted so good, and added a great layer of flavor to your "healthy" dish :)

16. Marisaposted September 30, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Great balance of flavors in this dish. I really like the idea of crusting the chicken with pumpkin seeds. The coolness v. heat of the mango and chipotle is also a nice contrast. Like you, I would never be able to pass up a dessert. It makes me too happy! Healthy meals like this make it excusable to have more! haha

17. Evan @swEEtsposted September 30, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Your dish looks delicious.. but you can't give up dessert! Its just not right.. its not natural! ha plus, they say that people who 'give up' foods they like are not as happy as those who try to go the moderation route :) "Healthy" incentive for keeping dessert!

18. Emily Malloyposted September 30, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Beee-ayyy-uuutiful!

19. Lawyer Loves Lunchposted September 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I love adding seeds and nuts to recipes and we eat chicken like it's going out of style so this is the PERFECT recipe! Totally making this soon! :)

20. Belinda @zomppaposted September 30, 2010 at 6:09 pm

It's all a balance…this is such a pretty dish! Rather festive.

21. Angie's Recipesposted September 30, 2010 at 6:17 pm

This is a wonderfully encrusted chicken dish! Adobo Vinaigrette…that sounds great to serve with some baked butternut squash too. :-))

22. Rosa's Yummy Yumsposted September 30, 2010 at 6:18 pm

That looks fantastic! I love the flavor of pumpkin seeds.

Cheers,

Rosa

23. Joyposted September 30, 2010 at 8:24 pm

That looks so good. I love the used of pepita.

24. Jennifurlaposted September 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm

GORgeous

25. A Little Yumminessposted September 30, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I like the trend you are on…healhty dish, dessert…though I just do unhealthy dish and dessert which might be part of the problem.

26. Biren @ Roti n Riceposted October 1, 2010 at 2:30 am

Crusting the chicken with pumpkin seeds is a great idea. It looks wonderful and must taste great. This is certainly a delightfully tasty meal!

27. Ken Albalaposted October 1, 2010 at 3:32 am

What a lovely balance of flavors, I love pepitas too. Have you seen pumpkin seed oil? For soem reason mostly German.

28. baking.serendipityposted October 1, 2010 at 4:56 am

I like this healthy meal :) And all the versatility going on over here. There's always something delicious! PS, I've got a giveaway going on that I think you might be interested in :) Stop by and check it out!

29. Julie M.posted October 1, 2010 at 11:29 am

What a great recipe Sommer! Such a creative combination of flavors. Thanks so much for the vote of confidence regarding the guest posting; it's much appreciated! Have a great weekend!

30. Eileenposted October 1, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I love pumpkin seed, with chicken and a salad – oh my…..

31. Reeniposted October 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm

That is absolutely delicious looking! The flavors rock too!

32. Karenposted October 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Skip dessert??? HA! Now that would be silly…
    This dish looks great. Your adobo sauce sounds wonderful…I love using chipotles in adobo.

33. Nirmalaposted October 1, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Sommer — I like the crust a lot. So crunchy. Probably kept the meat moist. I would like to try this with fish some time.

34. claireposted October 1, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I cant remember where I saw this, but I have been thinking about it ever since. I can never come up with much to do with pepitas, but this is perfect! Love it and hope to make it and blog about it soon!

35. She's Cookin'posted October 1, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Love the pepita crunch and all the great flavors you've incorporated in this dish! Yes, I'm on the same cycle!

36. Shirleyposted October 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

Healthy meals are the justifications for indulgent desserts.

I'm amused you ended with a Frank Herbert quote… don't expect to see his words on a food blog. Which book is that one from?

37. Emily Zposted October 3, 2010 at 12:49 am

I have had pumpkin seeds on the brain lately! Great minds think alike, perhaps? ;) By the way I got my package yesterday but have been so busy I haven't had a chance to go through it all yet! Thanks again!

38. Chef Dennisposted October 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I love the pepitas on the chicken, not only is it gorgeous, but I bet it tasted incredible! What a perfect blend of flavors for the salad too, the mango was such a nice addition…..
    healthy can be tasty….sigh…I can't believe I actually said that…..I have come so far!

39. The Mom Chefposted October 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm

It's never even crossed my mind to use pepitas on chicken, but it's gorgeous. I'm glad you included that last photo so we could see how juicy and tender the chicken appears to be.

The salad underneath is beautiful. What a splash of color and flavor. I've never been a mango fan, but I'm learning. I do adore avocados.