Curried Apple Turnovers

My family always looks forward to apple picking this time of year. The kids enjoy climbing up on daddy’s broad shoulders to reach for juicy autumn orbs tucked beneath leafy branches. They get even more excited about all the other glorious things you find at an apple orchard…farm animals to feed, hay rides, play areas, and decedent apple treats!

Henderson county, just south of us, is known for having more apple orchards than any other county in the US. Yes, that includes Michigan and Washington! Who knew that this little corner of western North Carolina could produce such apples!

We have visited our fair share of apple orchards over the last six years and have firmly decided on a favorite, Sky Top Orchard. As noted by it’s name, Sky Top Orchard is located on a mountain top in Flat Rock, NC. With lush mountain views in all directions, why would you want to pick apples any where else? Plus, they have great variety in the orchard, a well-stocked apple emporium, and plenty of extra attractions to keep the kiddos busy long after the bushels are filled to the brim. And if that isn’t enough, they sell HOT, fresh, apple-cider donuts! After your first bite of these supple, sugar-crusted rings, you don’t know whether to swear, thank God, and cry out of utter bliss!

Alright, enough about the donuts. While I’m pondering the possibility of recreating them, I’d like to offer you another apple treat that is perfectly lovely in it’s own right. Apple turnovers are one of my favorite fall snacks. They are cute, easy to take with you, and full of flavor!

There is one problem with making apple sweets. When you bring home bushels of apples from the orchard, you start to worry about monotony. After all, what better accents apples than cinnamon? But if you spice all your apples with cinnamon, it doesn’t matter whether you make turnovers, pies, crisps, cakes, or muffins. You end up with SAME flavors–just varied textures!

As a girl who likes a lot of variety, I’ve been experimenting with different flavor profiles to complement apples. I’ve found that CURRY POWDER and garam masala do wonders to spice up savory or sweet apple dishes. Both are Indian spice blends usually containing a little cinnamon. Yet, you also get a bit of coriander, clove, fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, and cardamom as well. These extra spices provide rich depth to your apple treats…and the element of surprise!

I’ve noticed that if you don’t tell your taste-testers what your secret ingredient is, they will devour several hand pies while contemplating the possibilities, and still may never figure it out! A touch of curry adds that little SOMETHING, without overpowering the apple-y goodness!

But I, when I undress me
Each night upon my knees
Will ask the Lord to bless me,
With apple pie and cheese
~Eugene Field, American poet

To make:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and chop the apples into ¼ inch cubes. Mix the apple cubes with the raisins, orange zest, orange juice, flour, garam masala, curry powder, salt and brown sugar.

Cut each puff pastry sheet into 9 squares and place them on baking stones or parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Gently roll out each square into a diamond shape.

Top each diamond with a tablespoon of apple mixture.

Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the egg wash over the edges of the diamond. Then fold the dough over the apple mixture and crimp the edges with a fork.

Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar. Bake for 17-20 minutes until golden brown on top.

Yield: 18

Curried Apple Turnovers

2 medium apples
1/2 cup golden raisins
zest of 1 orange
2 Tbs. orange juice
2 tsp. flour
½ tsp. garam masala
¼ tsp. curry powder
¼ tsp. salt
3 Tbs. brown sugar
2 sheets of puff pastry
1 egg + 1 Tb. water
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Top each diamond with a tablespoon of apple mixture.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

56 Responses to “Curried Apple Turnovers”

JillyAn — September 13, 2010 @ 3:36 am

Oh my goodness…curry and apples…this just sounds so unique and delicious. They pastry looks flaky and wonderful too. Beautiful pictures.

My Kitchen in the Rockies — September 13, 2010 @ 4:02 am

Indian spices in an apple turnover. I am sure that goes really well.
    No apple orchards here. I am jealous.

Kristen — September 13, 2010 @ 4:20 am

I love it! What a fabulous idea, and I have all of that homemade Madras curry powder just itching to be "that little something" in an apple treat.

Koci — September 13, 2010 @ 5:34 am

I love the addition of curry powder and garam masala! It must add such a great depth to the apples, with still a bit of familiar, cinnamon-y warmth from the garam masala. I definitely want to give this combination a try!

Angie's Recipes — September 13, 2010 @ 5:53 am

Love these apple turnovers with a twist! Excellent pictures!

MaryMoh — September 13, 2010 @ 6:55 am

That looks simple and delicious. I would never have thought of adding curry. I would love to try Thanks very much for sharing.

sangeeta — September 13, 2010 @ 8:03 am

OMG …curry powder garam masala and apples …something really really interesting to begin with….
    The curry powder available in the US is different from the one we use here , but we can always make our own favorite curry powder.

People make apple curry and apple pickle here from the small varieties of himachal apples.

savy cook — September 13, 2010 @ 8:15 am

This recipe rocks! Thanks for sharing…

Cherine — September 13, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Those turnovers look extremely YUMMY!

Belinda @zomppa — September 13, 2010 @ 10:44 am

I didn't realize there were so many apples there. This is just a fantastic recipe, not to mention they are gorgeous!

Carolyn — September 13, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Oh my, I love this idea! Will definitely have to try it. We love apple picking and I love coming home with bags and bags of apples, but you're right, it does get monotonous after a while.

Julie M. — September 13, 2010 @ 11:31 am

Sommer, those are truly beautiful! I love the addition of the "surprise" spices. And of course, the best part of your blog is that I can actually drive to Skytop Orchard and check it out for myself! Glad you had such a nice time.

Casey Angelova — September 13, 2010 @ 11:35 am

I love the curry and garam masala with the apples. I might need to try that.

Eileen — September 13, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Pretty little turnovers you got there. I love apple season. Fall is my favorite time of the year.

Rosa's Yummy Yums — September 13, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Those turnovers are beautiful! Very original with that addition of curry.

Cheers,

Rosa

tasteofbeirut — September 13, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I can't think of a better treat with a cup of coffee than these apple turnovers; the spice mix is so unusual yet so complementary to the apples!

High Plains Drifters — September 13, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

garam masala is an inspired choice for a dessert. going to try that asap.

kinda funny, but the folks who grow the most apples don't necessarily grow the best. there's a little place in western maryland called McCutheon's that makes some great apple products. and my personal all time favorite apple is a Colorado Western Slope honeycrisp.

cheers!

Priscilla - She's Cookin' — September 13, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

I wish I had one of these with my coffee right now! Fall is in the air and apple turnovers flavored with a savory touch of curry and garam masala – brilliantly delicious. Yum!

The Mom Chef — September 13, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

Oh, you're killing me. These look incredible. I have everything I need to make them. Must….use….willpower. If I had any. Another recipe to print and make. (Thanks!)

Sprinkled with Flour — September 13, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

What an interesting flavor combo! Very creative. I love apple orchards, and making turnovers with your bounty is the perfect way to use them:)

Susi — September 13, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

Very creative flavor combination! It sounds delicious though and I'd be more than willing to taste test ;o) And thanks for mentioning apple cider donuts, I will be craving them all day now LOL

Mary — September 13, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

The curry in the turnovers really puts a new spin on a very popular old favorite. I think it would be a wonderful addition. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

City Share — September 13, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

Those look wonderful. I never thought to put curry powder in sweet dishes before. Sounds like a great combo. I love going apple picking. I never knew that apples grew in NC, never mind that the state grew so many. Thanks for sharing.

Kate — September 13, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

MMMM, those look great. One of my favorite recipes is curried peaches. I've never tried it with any other fruit but am going to try curried apples soon :-) Kate @kateiscooking

laura — September 13, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

Oh, these sound heavenly, Sommer! Can you believe I never went apple picking in all my days in H'ville! Perhaps on our visit this fall. ( :

Samantha @ The Savvy Soybean — September 13, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

I love this twist on apple turnovers!! These look gorgeous, and they're a great way to welcome this awesome fall weather. Thanks for the recipe =)

Katerina — September 13, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

Indeed an unusual combination. I would love to try them.

Baking Barrister — September 13, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

Its like fall in a pocket! Did you get a gig for the examiner? I got led to that site from foodbuzz first and I was baffled! If so, congrats!

Megan — September 13, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

I love the idea of adding some spice to these apples turnovers! We have an apple orchard about an hour south of us and I have been telling him that we need to go soon. I might use this recipe to get him in the car to go. Sounds delicious! Also, wanted to thank you again for the giveaway treats. We got them this weekend and have enjoyed them immensely! Thank you!!

Megan — September 13, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

And by him, I mean my husband. Whoops!

Abby — September 13, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

I love anything with curry! Your turnovers look fantastic. And I *might* be bias, but N.C. does have some of the best apples around. :)

Stella — September 13, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

Oh Sommer, these sound so good. And I love the idea of curry or garam masala with apples. I keep both in my pantry, so I'm dreaming now (smile). Yum!

Jennifurla — September 13, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

I love the spide haystack! cool, these look great

A Little Yumminess — September 13, 2010 @ 10:54 pm

What an interesting recipe. I often use garam masala and curry powder but never in a "sweet" form…hmmmm…

Chef Dennis — September 13, 2010 @ 11:40 pm

HI Sommer
    I would never have thought of curry or any Indian spices in my apple pies, but when you explain it, it makes all the sense in the world! I imagine it does add a lot of depth of flavor, and tintilates the imagination, trying to figure out what it could be! Thanks for thinking outside the box!

Biren — September 14, 2010 @ 12:21 am

Sounds like a winner to me. I am sure it must be delicius!

Evan @swEEts — September 14, 2010 @ 12:36 am

Curry powder with apples.. Im intrigued and can't wait to try this out!!

Rick — September 14, 2010 @ 1:12 am

Now I cannot wait to make apple desserts.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table — September 14, 2010 @ 1:31 am

Oh my! Sweet, salty, spicy, savoury!! You got me GOOD Sommer!!

P/s – apple pie and cheese – I entirely agree ;)

Juliana — September 14, 2010 @ 1:47 am

Wow, how interesting…curry powder in an apple turnover? It sure looks very tasty…

sweetlife — September 14, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

I love how you mixed it up with a different spice, I agree cinnamom does go very well but with so many apples fresh from picking, good idea to vary flavors, love the turnover on the green plate,
    sweetlife
    ps, we slice apples and put them inside a quesadilla with sharp cheddar for a quick lunch, yum

Tiffany — September 14, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

I admit at first I thought it sounded funny, but the more I think about it, it probably tastes great! I will try it!

Karen — September 14, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

The addition of the spices sounds fantastic! Great spin on a classic.

Tasty Eats At Home — September 14, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Wow, just…wow. These sound amazing.

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 15, 2010 @ 1:50 am

Those turnovers look mouth-watering. Definitely a recipe worth whipping up :)

citronetvanille — September 15, 2010 @ 4:34 am

OH What a beautiful recipe! I want to go apple picking too, it's so much fun! I never used garam masala and curry in a sweet recipe, but you got me intrigued, those are mouth watering!

claire — September 15, 2010 @ 4:43 am

oh my goodness! I will be dreaming of these turnovers!

I want to go apple picking, but i am not sure of where to go in dallas!

Joudie's Mood Food — September 15, 2010 @ 8:31 am

I love the addition of curry flavour. How interesting. I am sure this works a treat as they do compliment each other. How lovely. I will make these for sure as im so intrigued by their taste now! I LOVE PUFF PASRTY. I would sell my soul for it!

Gitte — September 15, 2010 @ 11:03 am

Wow, apples and curry. That is a combinations that begs to be tried out. Very interesting. I want to go apple picking too :)

5 Star Foodie — September 15, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

A terrific idea to add the curry and garam masala to the apple filling! Love it!

ezsrecipes.com — September 15, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

Ooooh, I could definitely use this recipe. I have some apples that I desperately need to do something with. If I make this, I will repost it and link back to you!

mangocheeks — September 16, 2010 @ 7:17 am

Wow I was thinking of making a spicy apple chutney with my recent windfall, but looking at these YUM What a superb idea. Instead of a sweet apple turnover, how about a spicy one!

Foodessa — September 16, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

I'll have to come out of my baking box a little more and try these wonderful turnovers…how wonderful all these ingredients sound ;o)

Great post and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

Sophie — September 17, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us!! Your apple curry turnovers look divine!!

Really!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM,…lovely food!

Rosie — March 13, 2013 @ 11:03 am

I made these last night and they were amazing. Thanks for the recipe. Next time I might add a tiny bit more ginger.

1. Pingback: Appelflappen met sinaasappel | Verras je gasten met dit tussendoortje!