Fresh Peach and Basil Salad

Fresh Peach and Basil Salad

After moving to the South,  I quickly noticed an abundance of road-side produce sellers. Some with little wooden shacks, others selling out of the back end of their pickup trucks. I would drive down the road and suddenly see the most glorious melons or deep purple heirloom tomatoes piled high in a gravel turn-off. On one of these occasions, there was a little old man with picnic baskets full of fresh  peaches cascading out of the back of his truck! I made a quick u-turn, and parked next to him.

The peaches were radiant! Enormous, flawless…bashfully blushing peaches. Ready to be taken home and devoured in silent dripping reverence!

I ask this charmingly weathered character how much for a whole picnic basket.

“Fo’ teen dollas, hunnnnny!”

“Great! Oh, and…are they organic?” I replied.

“Well, shuuuuga, if they was, they’d be full of WARMS! You don’t won’t warms in yo’ peaches, do you baaaaby?”

“I suppose not.”  I shrugged with a wry smile.

Organic or not, those were the BEST peaches I’ve ever purchased. There’s a reason why the South is famous for them! I often look for my new found friend, when I’m driving down a country road this time of year. I hope he’s still around!

In the summer, when the produce is so fresh, I find it hard not to want to eat everything raw, unadulterated. Of course, that takes some of the fun out of cooking! I obviously CAN resist with recipes like mixed berry crostata, fresh tomato tart and summer plum cake. Yet most days I stick with dishes like fresh peaches with basil and chevre. This quick and simple little salad is a wonderful addition to any summertime meal!

The ripest peach is highest on the tree. ~James Whitcomb Riley

Yield: 6 servings

Fresh Peach and Basil Salad

4-6 ripe peaches, pitted and cut into bite-size pieces
1 Tb. honey
4-6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
½ cup lemon chevre (or plain chevre with a little lemon zest)
A pinch of salt

Place the peaches in a bowl and

Coat with honey and sprinkle with salt.

Then gently fold in basil and chevre.

59 Responses to “Fresh Peach and Basil Salad”

The Cilantropist — August 26, 2010 @ 3:44 am

LOVE peaches!!! :D What a simple, beautiful, and delicious way to eat them!

Koci — August 26, 2010 @ 5:16 am

This salad looks so amazing! I love peaches already, but the addition of the chevre just takes things to a whole new level. Two of my favorite ingredients!

Emily — August 26, 2010 @ 6:49 am

I tend to come across many road-side produce sellers when I'm on a road trip to the neighbouring regional areas. I couldn't resist to stop my car and buy away, much to my husband frustration at time as we ended spending too much time on the road than expected. I often find good bargains and better quality produces from them. Extra long road trip is totally worth it. :)

Love the combination of your salad – you get the sweetness from the peaches and savoury from the chevre. Still counting my days until the stonefruit season in Australia…..

Belinda @zomppa — August 26, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Roadside peaches in the South are the best!! I too love roadside whatevers…whenever we hit the NC beaches, we don't even bother with the grocery store. We just wait til we find the fishermen on the road – and still the best seafood ever. This is a great dish.

savy cook — August 26, 2010 @ 11:47 am

looks great!

The Training Table — August 26, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

What part of the south do you live in? I was born in Florida and spent a lot of time in Georgia, so I've always had a certain sense of pride in our local agriculture. But I always thought it was odd that Georgia is the Peachtree State, despite South Carolina producing more bushels each year. Of course, California produces around 10x more than the two put together.

But the best peaches I've ever had are Palisade peaches from Colorado's Western Slope. Colorado has a marketing problem, though: the locals love their produce so much that sweet Olathe corn, Rocky Ford melons, Palisade peaches, and Western Slope honeycrisp apples rarely leave the state.

Cheers!

Debbie — August 26, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

everything's comin' up peaches!

nice simple, elegant summer salad!

Katie@Cozydelicious — August 26, 2010 @ 12:38 pm

Yum! I am discovering how much I love fresh herb and fruit combos. I've been addicted to watermelon and basil this summer. This looks like such a fantastic salad, I'll have to try it.

Eileen — August 26, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

Did you see my recent post? Oh, the sweet South! Scrumptious looking salad, and beautiful pics – probably headed to the top 9!

J Gottenstrater — August 26, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

My mouth is watering. I am making this tonight! As always, beautiful pictures.

Biren — August 26, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Peaches are great! These look so juicy and refreshing.

Pacheco Patty — August 26, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Beautiful plate, so fresh and tasty looking!

NANA Scriv — August 26, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

My brother Bill and his new wife Nell are visiting us for a couple days from South Carolina. I happened to click on this blog right before fixing breakfast and went right in and modified this for the morning meal. It worked well with scrambled eggs and looked so pretty. An Okie.

Victoria K. — August 26, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

Delicious!! So fresh and flavorful!

Susi — August 26, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Looks incredibly delicious!

Wendy — August 26, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

What a tasty looking dish! Thanks for linking up at Tip Day Thursday….would you mind providing a link back yo AMFT? Thanks!

Healthy Mamma — August 26, 2010 @ 4:05 pm

How wonderful. I sure wish we had more roadside farmers out here. Alas, they wouldn't last long in the August heat here in Phoenix. :-(
    I think we should all trade a few worm holes here and there for pretty, yet sprayed produce. just a thought ;-)

Kate — August 26, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Beautiful! I think I'll try that with some blue cheese too since we love peaches drizzled with honey then sprinkled with blue cheese and grilled. Thanks!! Kate (kateiscooking)

Marisa — August 26, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

Great, simple ingredients. Those peaches looks so juicy! Salads like this are a part of summer's great peasures. Love your dialogue with the farmer! :-D

Sprinkled with Flour — August 26, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

This salad looks so inviting. I love the flavor combination!

Mary — August 26, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

What a lovely and unique salad. It looks beautiful and I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Jennifurla — August 26, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

I would have never put this together, thanks for the idea.

Tasty Eats At Home — August 26, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

I was just slurping on yet another delicious peach from the farmers market, and thinking to myself how I'll be sad when peach season is over. I too rarely get them into any real recipes – so many times, they're just gobbled up out of hand. This salad sounds great.

Magic of Spice — August 26, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

What a delightful summer salad…love the honey :)

Baking Barrister — August 26, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

Haha I love the random people in the South–they're so weird. I think peaches are best eaten raw with other ingredients that highlight their sweetness and juiciness, so I think this is a perfect little salad.

Cook with Madin — August 27, 2010 @ 12:39 am

Great peaches and what a refreshing salad you made here. I like your story about the old man.

Tami — August 27, 2010 @ 12:46 am

We have loved this salad ever since you first showed it at class. It's a classic!

Ahris — August 27, 2010 @ 1:47 am

I've been enjoying white peaches lately… would they work too? I hope so, cause those look delicious!

baking.serendipity — August 27, 2010 @ 3:12 am

Peaches from those road side stands in the south are my absolute favorite! Jealous of the abundance in your life right now :)

Samantha @ The Savvy Soybean — August 27, 2010 @ 3:48 am

This combo seems so unexpected but it looks amazing!! I'll definitely have to try it out. Looks so refreshing!

Kristen — August 27, 2010 @ 4:37 am

That's the nice thing about having my own fruit trees…they are as organic as I make them. We actually had to fight the birds for some of them, but not worms.

Your salad looks fantastic. I absolutely love goat cheese on just about anything. It would be perfect with peaches.

Devaki — August 27, 2010 @ 5:08 am

Such wonderful flavors Sommer – peaches, goat cheese and honey. Yumm!!!

D e g a i n e — August 27, 2010 @ 8:06 am

This looks so refreshing, what a delicious blog, glad I found it!

d e g a i n e

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 27, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

Wow – this looks really tasty! I have never though of using peaches with basil.

Tanvi — August 27, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

what a simple salad with wonderful flavors!
    I m a big fan of goat cheese & basil combo…This salad looks like a winner…and a colorful one!

5 Star Foodie — August 27, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

Perfect simple and elegant! The combination of the peaches, goat cheese, and basil is a winner!

Chef Dennis — August 28, 2010 @ 12:59 am

how good does that look! I love goat cheese and fresh peaches must go so well with it! The basil adds a nice touch!

fromBAtoParis — August 28, 2010 @ 5:43 am

Excellent salad! I have to try this combination, new to me: basil/peach!
    Thanks for the idea!!

Katerina — August 28, 2010 @ 7:10 am

I love the combination of fruit and cheese. Great colors!

Stella — August 28, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Hey Sommer, this salad sounds perfect. I love how you paired minty basil with the peaches and lemon goat cheese-that's nice. I think I'll try it with either peaches or nectarines (whichever looks best at the store). I'm going to add a hot red chili to the mix too, b/c I think that's very Sommeresque (smile)!

Nirmala — August 28, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

I feel the same way. I love stone fruit as is but some times they are great cooked too! I like the combo of ingredients. So simple, easy.

The Mom Chef — August 29, 2010 @ 1:02 am

Wow, that looks so amazing. I love our peaches too. The south is just such a wonderful place to live. :)

Prairie Story — August 29, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

What an amazing salad. Up north here.. we don't get the peaches you do though… :(

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having — August 30, 2010 @ 2:46 am

I so wish we had roadside produce here. Your peaches look wonderful.

laura — August 30, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

This actually makes me want to like goat cheese, Sommer! Your peaches look perfect – love the story! ( :

Priscilla - She's Cookin' — August 30, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

LOL, love your southern accent ;) I grew up in NW Arkansas and visit often – can't beat the farm stands! This is such a simple and delightful way to highlight peaches!

sweetlife — August 30, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

oh peaches are at their best right now, and I lov eyour slad, truly refreshing…yum

sweetlife

Foodessa — September 1, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Sommer…your friendly Peach man is lucky to have served up such nice peaches…because I personally don't know how kindly I would have accepted being called 'Baby' ;o)

I love the combo of ingredients you've used in your peach salad…basil…quite interesting ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

denise @ quickies on the dinner table — September 2, 2010 @ 10:04 am

Oooh! Those surely are purty little peaches LOL Such a simple and beautiful way to enjoy them. Love the idea of pairing them with basil, though I have't yet tried it.

Sanura — September 3, 2010 @ 2:08 am

I remember the days when I brought peaches from the road side stands, too! Now, the best are from the farmer's market in NYC. And, NJ peaches are quite good, too. Regardless of where they're from, the fact they're in season… that's important.

marla — July 17, 2011 @ 7:36 am

A delightful summer salad – love the sweet/savory combo. xo

Liz — July 17, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Mmmmm….I’ve never eaten peaches with basil but I have a feeling I’d love it!

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — July 17, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

I totally wouldn’t have thought to pair peach and basil together, looks yummy!

Shelby — July 20, 2011 @ 2:34 am

Yum, this looks so fresh. So cooling!

Feast on the Cheap — July 21, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Winnie — July 25, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Great salad combo…want some right now!

nikki — July 31, 2011 @ 5:44 am

I cannot tell you how UTTERLY DELICIOUS this is!!! Just ate a whole bowl… so so SOOO GOOD!!!

Everything about it is just perfect. YUM!

Rochelle Murray — September 6, 2011 @ 9:20 am

This recipe was fantastic! Just brought it to a labor day party and it won everyone over.

Only one suggestion – my boyfriend recommended adding walnuts to the mix for an extra crunch, and it worked out great.

Thanks for the great recipe!

1. Pingback: A Few of My Favorite Things | Gettin' My Healthy On