celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Gingersnap Ice Cream Cups with Fresh Blueberry-Lavender Sauce

Gingersnap Ice Cream Cups with Fresh Blueberry-Lavender Sauce

You know the story of the ugly duckling… Well, I would NEVER address my beloved frozen treat as ugly or undesirable…but there ARE ways to make a good thing even better!

Last weekend my family drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway to a place called Graveyard Fields. It is known for kid-friendly hiking trails, waterfalls, and wild berries galore!

Like the little duck swan in the story, the berries were small and unimpressive at first sight but, oh what destiny was hidden within! These berries were exquisite–bright, fragrant, and slightly earthy! It just goes to show, appearance isn’t everything!

Although beauty can be deceiving, there ARE times you want to give plain-jane ingredients a makeover! Here is a quick and simple way to dress up ice cream. Make fresh blueberry-lavender sauce and gingersnap serving cups that are sure to summon oooooohs and ahhhhhs!

Blueberry Lavender Sauce for Ice Cream

1 lb. fresh blue berries (could use frozen)
1 tsp. dried lavender buds, smashed or ground
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tb. cornstarch
1-2 tsp. lemon juice
A pinch of salt

In a small sauce pan, bring the blueberries, lavender, sugar and cornstarch to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat the stir in lemon juice and a dash of salt.

*This sauce is also great for pancakes, pound cake or cheesecake!

For the Gingersnap Ice Cream Cups:  Preheat the oven to 300 degree F. Grind the cookies in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, place them in a zip bag and roll them with a rolling pin.

Mix in the butter, sugar and salt. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Scoop about 2 Tb. of the mixture into each cup. Use a small cup to press each scoop of mixture, shaping it into a tiny cup. Bake the cups for 12-15 minutes. Allow them to cool, then lift them out with your fingers or a small knife. Makes 10-12.

Place one scoop of ice cream in each cup and top with blueberry-lavender sauce.

Gingersnap Ice Cream Cups

12 oz. ginger snap cookies, ground (about 2 cups ground)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 1/2 Tb. sugar
Pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degree F. Grind the cookies in a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, place them in a zip bag and roll them with a rolling pin.

Place one scoop of ice cream in each cup and top with blueberry-lavender sauce.

This recipe is especially good with vanilla bean, lemon curd, or peach ice cream!

recipe is especially good with vanilla bean, lemon curd, or peach ice cream!

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

77 Responses to “Gingersnap Ice Cream Cups with Fresh Blueberry-Lavender Sauce”

1. Victoria K.posted August 19, 2010 at 3:44 am

Wow! Love love love this presentation and it's so easy! Great for entertaining :)

2. doggybloggyposted August 19, 2010 at 3:52 am

Huh – low spicy – this is one good lookin' I scream cone. Wow. It is almost a sandwich….

3. Eileenposted August 19, 2010 at 4:02 am

Yummy! I love making ice cream sauces. The ice cream cups are way cool!

4. motherrimmyposted August 19, 2010 at 4:09 am

If this isn't the perfect treat, I don't know what is! I haven't used lavender in a recipe before. I love the idea.

Your children are darling. :)

5. The Cilantropistposted August 19, 2010 at 4:19 am

I LOVE this idea!!! The gingersnap cup is so inspired and paired with the ice cream it is perfect for summer! :)

6. alisonposted August 19, 2010 at 4:46 am

wow,all is amazing ,a beautiful presentation!love it!

7. Julie @ Willow Bird Bakingposted August 19, 2010 at 4:54 am

Those gingersnap serving cups are genius, and they're so on my list now! I have some lemon mousse in the freezer just begging to be spooned into those!

8. Carolynposted August 19, 2010 at 9:47 am

Oh my, this looks so, so, SO good. Love the little cups, perfect presentation!

9. Belinda @zomppaposted August 19, 2010 at 11:51 am

Those are some lucky children! I can't get over how COOL this is! And the cups – so simple but fancy.

10. Loraposted August 19, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Just untterly..yum!

11. lauraposted August 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

These are awesome, Sommer! Of course I love the blueberry lavender sauce, but I am so impressed with the gingersnap ice cream cups – how inventive and the flavors sound perfect with the sauce! ( : XO

12. julieposted August 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Sommer, where do you come up with these amazing ideas?! I love this!

I'll definitely have to check that area of the Smoky Mountains out. My kids saw the pictures you posted and asked, "can we go there today mommie?"

13. Pacheco Pattyposted August 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I love the blueberry lavender sauce! The gingersnap ice cream cups are pretty sweet too:-)
    Beautiful photos, I've never been blueberry picking, it looks like fun.

14. 5 Star Foodieposted August 19, 2010 at 1:54 pm

The gingersnap cups are so cute and I love the lavender in the berry sauce, so delicious!

15. My Kitchen in the Rockiesposted August 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Great idea to make these ice cream cups. That would go wonderfully with the apricot ice cream I have in my freezer.

16. Wendyposted August 19, 2010 at 3:35 pm

This looks so tasty! Thanks for including it in the Tip Day Thursday carnival…I would love a link back to the carnival.

17. foodies at homeposted August 19, 2010 at 4:32 pm

These are absolutely luscious! What a way to serve vanilla ice cream! A beautiful treat!!

18. Marisaposted August 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Those little berries made for some great inspiration! Looks like it was a fun day and a delicious dessert. Beautiful photos!

19. Evan @swEEtsposted August 19, 2010 at 6:06 pm

How wonderful..the ice cream is even better when it is accompanied with a delicious looking gingersnap cup!!

20. savy cookposted August 19, 2010 at 6:17 pm

mouth watering…Loved this :)

21. Jennifurlaposted August 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm

On my list, LOVE LOVE the cups! super idea

22. Cook with Madinposted August 19, 2010 at 7:49 pm

This looks awesome. I love the sauce, and your idea of the cup. You kids are beautiful.

23. Chow and Chatterposted August 19, 2010 at 9:03 pm

wow this is so gourmet love the blue ridge mountains not far from us in Winston salem I bet your kids gobbled this up!

24. JillyAnposted August 19, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Oh my this is amazing! I love gingersnaps and can imagine what a fantastic combination of flavors this is. Beautiful pictures as well.

25. Chef Beeposted August 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Looks great and I will try it. Ice cream is my favorite and I love the cups.

Plan B

26. Baking Barristerposted August 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I want to always eat my ice cream in a gingersnap cup from now on. Do you ship?

27. Doggy Dessert Chefposted August 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm

When you add fruit to ice cream it makes it healthy right? Beautiful photos!

28. Stellaposted August 19, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Wow Sommer, this looks delicious, and I would not call it ugly either! More like 'yum looking'! Ooh, and a ginger cup sounds out of this world. I'm so glad fall and spice season is almost here. Yeah!

29. Katie@Cozydeliciousposted August 20, 2010 at 12:20 am

I LOVE these gingersnap cups! I am totally making these ASAP. Yum! What a great idea – I bet they are good with peach ice cream too.

30. newlywedposted August 20, 2010 at 1:41 am

Thank you so much for sharing this…I have so many gingersnaps, and I just can't get through them. This looks like a great way to "recycle" them!

31. Rickposted August 20, 2010 at 1:43 am

Oh my OH my! The lavender in this sounds fantastic!

32. Birenposted August 20, 2010 at 1:59 am

Wow…the gingersnap cups and lavender berry sauce looks so good. Beautiful pictures too!

33. Angie's Recipesposted August 20, 2010 at 4:37 am

Lavender berry sauce sounds heavenly to top all over the ice cream! Awesome clicks!

34. lynneposted August 20, 2010 at 5:40 am

yum! those look delicious!

35. everchangingplateposted August 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

holy crap they're like mini ginger ice cream pies- brilliant!

36. Reeniposted August 20, 2010 at 12:46 pm

What a fancy little ice cream dessert! And so scrumptious too with the lovely lavender sauce. The ginger cups just send it over the top!

37. Sarahposted August 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Wow, unbelievable looking! Congrats on the Top 9, beautiful photos!

38. The Mom Chefposted August 20, 2010 at 1:22 pm

When a picture makes me go, "Oh my gosh," I know right away I'm going to be printing the recipe. That is amazing. The sauce looks fantastic (and I just happen to have a quart of hand-picked blueberries in the fridge). I LOVE the ginger snap cups. What an incredible idea for any kind of cookie. Thank you so much for passing it along.

39. Claudiaposted August 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm

This is the most inviting, tantalizing, gorgeous post. I wish my lavender had buds! The ginger-snap cups really dress this up.

40. Kateposted August 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Sommer – that looks incredible!!! Just the thing for the last of the 10lbs of blueberries we got a couple of weeks ago from MI. And, I think I have some homemade peach ice cream in the freezer. Love the gingersnap cups too. Wonder how they'd be with a vanilla mousse? Or a custard/creme brulee? Great photos too. How much fun was that for your kids :-) A memory they'll always treasure! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Kate (kateiscooking.blogspot.com)

41. Sprinkled with Flourposted August 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm

This looks so good. Love your blog!

42. Emilyposted August 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Wow, this looks sinfully delicious! I can almost taste the berries from the pictures alone!

43. Magda @ Be Nutritiousposted August 20, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Very innovative recipe, I love the idea of putting ice cream into little homemade muffin-cookie like cups. And it looks so beautiful and appetizing.

44. sweetlifeposted August 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Loving this treat!! girl…the cups are fab, fab, fab, I must make these asap…and the lavender with berries, brillant…truly stunning, too cool…
    sweetlife
    ps, thanks for the shout out!!love ya girl

45. Lawyer Loves Lunchposted August 20, 2010 at 8:39 pm

The gingersnap cups are utter genius! I'm totally filing them in my mental rolodex of things to try soon :)

46. Lindsayposted August 20, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Oh my that looks so delicious. Eatknitgrow.com

47. Chef Dennisposted August 20, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I absolutely love those ice cream cups!! I will have to try and make those for my girls, they will love them!!! and what a beautiful delicious dessert….i do wish i could try it!! Congrats on the top 9 today, you certainly deserved it!!

48. Megan @ The Fresh Fridgeposted August 20, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I am going blueberry picking this weekend and now I know one of the ways I will be using them! Plus, those ice cream cups sound great! My husband and I are ice cream addicts so a new way to eat it is always welcomed!

49. Shirleyposted August 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm

That looks so good and summery! Why did I never think of gingersnap cups?

50. Tanviposted August 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm

What a beautiful looking dessert…what makes u call it ugly?
    I love the lavender touch..must have made the whole thing aromatic!

51. Velvaposted August 21, 2010 at 12:34 am

Your ice cream cups are beautiful and with berries, over the top.

52. Truffle Shuffleposted August 21, 2010 at 5:04 am

Very nice! Congratulations on the Top 9… This looks extremely tasty. I'm not a huge fan of ginger snaps, but the blueberries look beautiful! I may have to try that.

53. Anonymousposted August 21, 2010 at 8:49 am

What is one stick of butter, 250g?

54. A SPICY PERSPECTIVEposted August 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Thank guys! This was a big hit at my house!

I believe 1 stick of butter is 114 grams.

55. baking.serendipityposted August 22, 2010 at 4:53 am

Those ginger cups look amazing! And I can't believe how simple they were to make. Everything about this dessert is perfection. My family would love it as well!

56. Foodessaposted August 22, 2010 at 11:17 am

Sommer….these cookie cups are so versatile…my mind is spinning ;o)

Ohhh how I envy your blueberry hunt…looks like a very memorable day ;o)

I'll have to make these soon. I wonder how well they would freeze?

Ciao for now and have a wonderful week,
    Claudia

57. Nirmalaposted August 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm

These look so easy and yummy. Do you think you can freeze the cups?

58. Sophieposted August 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

Waw!! What a grand feast for the senses!

I also love that lavender blueberry sauce!!

Divine food!

59. Kristenposted August 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm

What an ingenious combination! I love the gingersnap cups.

60. Sanjeeta kkposted August 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Absolutely berri licious! Lovely clicks.

61. Mikaposted August 24, 2010 at 3:50 am

I had a blueberry-lavendar torte with ice cream at Tony's Pizza Napoletana in North Beach, SF, and if this is anything like that, I'm in. Blueberry and lavendar are a wonderful combination. Beautiful photos, Sommer!

62. denise @ quickeis on the dinner tableposted August 24, 2010 at 6:21 am

Love the lavender and ginger combination and those gingersnap cups look good enough to eat on their own!

The first photo and the stack of gingersnap cups are gorgeous!

63. Anneposted August 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Blueberries and lavender sounds like a wonderful combination! I never considered making my own ice cream cups, but what a wonderful idea! And I bet your little helpers enjoyed this :)

64. vasile (marcedvr)posted August 26, 2010 at 6:29 am

This desert loks so delicious and yummy!

65. Matt Kayposted August 29, 2010 at 12:52 am

It's just mean for you to post pictures of this in the process of being eaten. Now I know how my dog must feel when she's watching me eat the most delicious thing that ever came out of a kitchen, all the while knowing full and well that she will not be able to have a bite.

Maybe you can email me a little taste? :D

66. Cindy Wafflesposted August 29, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Wow, this looks so wonderful! Great pictures. I really like the blueberry and lavender combination.

67. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Havingposted August 31, 2010 at 1:38 am

OMG this looks so good! And so simple, wonderful idea!

68. Maryposted September 13, 2010 at 1:34 am

Your pictures are incredible… I'm actually wiping the drool off my chin (with my elbow) as I type this ;)

Great blog! Happy I found you!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

69. foodalution.composted September 13, 2010 at 3:13 am

okay, this is just too much…. DIVINE! Glad to find your blog!

70. Lizposted September 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Oh, man; I love everything about these beauties!!! So wonderful, Sommer!!!

71. Jeanetteposted September 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Your kids are cuties! Love the idea of lavender in this fruit sauce.

72. Lana @ Never Enough Thymeposted September 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Oh, my. That is one gorgeous photo at the top there. Truly love the use of lavender in the sauce. I’m inspired :-)

73. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.posted September 10, 2011 at 7:28 pm

wow these look amazing! Would be terrific for dessert tonight!

74. Tiffposted September 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Wowzers, that looks just plain amazing!

75. marlaposted September 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Picking wild berries with the kids is such a blast. Your kids are precious. The ice cream in those ginger cups??? Bring it!

76. Jessica @ How Sweetposted September 12, 2011 at 4:47 am

the are SO cool! absolutely love the cups!

77. Carole Ann Spearposted February 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I’d love to make this. Is there a way to print the sauce recipe? I’ve got the cups ready to go…thanks. I know it isn’t blueberry time, but I froze some last summer, and it looks too good to wait until July.