celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Coffee Brushed BBQ Ribs

Honoring Dad and Coffee Brushed Barbeque Ribs~

Looking back on my childhood, there are certain things about my dad that stand in the forefront of my mind. Good things.

The funny little nicknames he would call us.

The father-daughter camp-outs.

Sitting with him in a velvet chair, reading bedtime stories.

Dad’s ability to weave a memory into a colorful tale of years past. He could make some of the horrors of his own childhood sound like classic fairytales!

His “workshop”, which was the corner of our garage, where he made wooden things. Mostly little cars, name plates and Christmas ornaments.

Dad’s love of history and antiques.

Dad’s obsession for coffee, at least 2 pots a day. And of course, his extensive coffee cup collection to keep up with the addiction.

Dad’s love for grilling and smoking meat.  He had an enormous smoking cabinet that was the envy of every man in our suburban neighborhood.

Along with fond memories and associations, my dad has taught me many important lessons over the years, both directly and indirectly. He taught me to say what I mean, and mean what I say. He taught me to work hard…without whining about it. He taught me that respect must be earned, not demanded. He taught me that life doesn’t always dish out what you want, but you can still move forward with a positive attitude! He taught me that Faith, Integrity, and Extending Grace To Others, are the highest virtues one can hold. THANKFUL doesn’t quite cover how I feel about him.

Three aromas I ALWAYS identify with my father are sawdust, coffee, and hickory-smoke. Every time I smell one of these, I draw in a deep, placid breath and I’m immediately overcome with warm thoughts of him.  It’s no wonder, that when I think of making a meal for dad, I feel the urge to combine large slabs of MEAT and coffee!

Introducing coffee infused barbeque sauce! A sauce with all that’s pure and holy about traditional (mid-western) BBQ sauces, plus a dark bitter undertone. The coffee, molasses and whiskey add depth of flavor that is strikingly distinct. Slather this on tender, juicy baby back ribs and grill to produce a crusty bark like no other. The succulent shreds of pork and smoky, caramelized crust are a carnivorous monument, able to birth a sense of one’s proper place in the food chain. I dare say, it’s enough to make a vegetarian stray. (Maybe I’m getting carried away, but these are awfully good ribs.)

Love you dad!

I don’t have a smoking cabinet like dad’s, so I improvise by steaming the ribs in the oven with a little liquid smoke to mimic the flavor. Then I grill them to crisp up the fat and develop that famous “bark” required of GOOD ribs. It works best on the grill, but you could also do this under the broiler–just be careful! BBQ sauce burns FAST under the broiler!

To Prepare:

Preheat the oven to *350. Mix the first seven ingredients in a small bowl.

Cut each rack in several pieces and rub the spices over all the rib sections. You can leave the ribs whole if you like the way they look better–I just think they are easier to handle on the grill in smaller pieces! Pour 4 cups of water and 1 tsp. of liquid smoke in a roasting pan.

Place the ribs in the pan, top up. Tightly cover the pan with foil and bake for 2 hours. Remove from the oven and rest until ready to grill. Meanwhile, add 1 Tb. oil to a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce to the sauce pan. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Heat a grill over medium-low heat. Brush the ribs completely with BBQ sauce. Place them on the grill and cook for 20 minutes, turning and brushing every 5 minutes until the desired “bark” has developed.

Coffee Brushed Barbeque Ribs

1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. instant coffee granules
2 tsp. cumin
2 Tb. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. paprika
½ tsp. cayenne

Preheat the oven to *350. Mix the first seven ingredients in a small bowl.

Cut each rack in several pieces and rub the spices over all the rib sections. You can leave the ribs whole if you like the way they look better--I just think they are easier to handle on the grill in smaller pieces! Pour 4 cups of water and 1 tsp. of liquid smoke in a roasting pan.

*It's fun to make your own BBQ sauce. But in a pinch, buy a bottled variety you like and simmer for a few minutes with the coffee granules!

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

40 Responses to “Coffee Brushed BBQ Ribs”

1. Lazaro Cooks!posted June 14, 2010 at 3:04 am

Beautiful job with the ribs. A fabulous recipe indeed.

Cheers!

2. bradposted June 14, 2010 at 3:09 am

Mmmmmmm! I guess we are eating at your house for Father's day. You fix the ribs and I'll bring the beer.

3. denise @ quickies on the dinner tableposted June 14, 2010 at 3:38 am

I think your dad and I would have gotten along very well Sommer :) And , when I saw the post title and the photo, you know what I thought? "Damn! This is just the kind of thing that stops me being vegan!!" No kidding! LOL

I love the recipe and the photos are just incredible, but then, that's nothing new!

4. My Kitchen in the Rockiesposted June 14, 2010 at 3:54 am

Thanks for the great recipe, Sommer. I have some buffalo ribs in the freezer. I know my Dad would have loved to eat your ribs. He used to smoke pipes and the smell reminds me of him. It is said that smells are much more intens for our memory than anything else.

5. Pacheco Pattyposted June 14, 2010 at 4:06 am

The men in my life would love this recipe too! Your photos are great, love the ribs with the corn and beer, you've thought of everything! A perfect post to celebrate Father's Day.

6. sweetlifeposted June 14, 2010 at 7:24 am

beautiful posts, i love my dad and have great childhood memeories with him, 2 pots of coffee wow your dad should get together and drink coffee with my hubby, he drinks coffee all day, and I'm the one with the coffee cup addiction..great recipe love how you added coffee..i'm sure he loved that part..

sweetlife

7. The Manly Housewifeposted June 14, 2010 at 11:01 am

Wow these look great. Gotta love some well cooked ribs.

8. Nisrine@Dinners & Dreamsposted June 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Any dad would be happy with a meal like this one.

9. Rubyposted June 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I've never tried making ribs before – maybe I will now! Sounds like you have a great dad – he must be proud of you too!

10. Jennifurlaposted June 14, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Your dad sounds wonderful, and the ribs looks so tasty.

11. 12th Man Training Tableposted June 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

If you don't have instant coffee in the house and don't want to buy a whole jar just for cooking, try the Starbucks Via. It's ground superfine so a little bit goes a long way. I've found usually you need 1 tsp for every 2 that the recipe calls for. Because it's ground so fine, it blends with other spices easily and dissolves in liquid instantly.

I thought maybe the SN Pale Ale in the background was part of the recipe … works just as well on the side as it does in the sauce, though!!

12. Cooking with Kaitposted June 14, 2010 at 3:11 pm

The ribs looks amazing. Great post about the good memories of your dad.

13. Gigabitingposted June 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm

They are making me hungry. How can you go wrong with pork and coffee?

14. fromBAtoParisposted June 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I clicked on your blog…and I almost die !!! For a carnivorous Argentinian, to see those ribs….You almost killed me !! =D
    Very interesting recipe, new to me!!
    I loved your memories about your dad !
    Congrats on the blog!

15. Rachposted June 14, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Looks fantastic !

16. 5 Star Foodieposted June 15, 2010 at 12:30 am

The coffee-infused BBQ sauce sounds fantastic and just perfect on the baby back ribs!

17. Devakiposted June 15, 2010 at 3:23 am

Dear Sommer! I am still recovering from wiping the drool off my keyboard. These are some HARDCORE ribs and now I know where to come when I want to make these.

You are going to make DAD SO PROUD!!!! You could not have done a better job.

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

18. Devakiposted June 15, 2010 at 3:25 am

I forgot to mention how lovely your heartfelt sentiments are….didn't want to leave without letting you know :)

Ciao, Devaki

19. citronetvanilleposted June 15, 2010 at 4:11 am

Oh those look incredible, I am so intrigued about the coffee…I think you just mastered the art of cooking ribs, and I'm sure your dad must be so proud of you. He definitely taught life's essential things and it shows :o) – gorgeous job!

20. Magic of Spiceposted June 15, 2010 at 7:51 am

Wonderful post, amazing how we identify so much with our scenes through memory…A Happy Fathers Day to your Dad! Great and original recipe:)Love this!

21. alwayshungryposted June 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

I like you dad
    he sounds like the very best kind
    I also like your ribs
    they sound like the best kind too!

22. Laetitiaposted June 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

what a beautiful dedication. Our dads inspire us so much ;-)

23. Barbara @ moderncomfortfoodposted June 15, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I love the way you've honored your dad here (who sounds like a wonderful man) but also these baby back ribs with your innovative sauce. What a concept: coffee BBQ! Fabulous!

24. Maryposted June 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm

The ribs look wonderful and finger licking good. Your Dad is going to love your tribute to him. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

25. Emily Malloy (Ziegler)posted June 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Oh my sweet Lord this is amazing.

26. Laxmi Hiremathposted June 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Beautiful, your dad must be proud of you!

27. lauraposted June 15, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I love the idea of adding coffee into the bbq sauce, Sommer! Very creative. I rarely tackle large pieces of meat – you are inpiring. ( :

28. Cook with Madinposted June 16, 2010 at 12:32 am

Excellent idea of adding coffee for your bbq sauce. The ribs looks gorgeous.
    Thank you for sharing a story about your Dad. He sounds like a wonderful Dad.

29. Annaposted June 16, 2010 at 4:06 am

Wow, what a beautiful meal, looks stunning, I'm drooling here. LOL The corn also looks yummy.

30. Jeanposted June 16, 2010 at 4:23 am

Beautiful ribs! I just made some a couple of days ago and wondered why I don't do it more often. Nice tribute to your dad. :-)

31. The Cilantropistposted June 16, 2010 at 6:52 am

Love my dad, and he loves to grill! This post definitely made me think of him… And longing for summers grilling out on the deck in the sun.

And by the way, I left you an award over on my blog! :)

32. Sophieposted June 16, 2010 at 8:35 am

I think you have a COOl dad!! A lovely post this surely is!

You treat your dad very well with these special ribs recipe!! waw!! I Personally I don't like ribs but it sure looks so tasty!!!

33. Kristenposted June 16, 2010 at 1:44 pm

What great memories you have of your father. Thank you for sharing such a lovely tribute and a great recipe. Those ribs look fabulous! The corn in the top picture also looks yummy!!!

34. The Food Hunterposted June 16, 2010 at 7:10 pm

This is so nice…those ribs look wonderful.

35. Brittany @ A Healthy Slice of Lifeposted June 16, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Wow, those ribs look amazing! What a special way to honor Dad :)

36. Neo-Homesteadingposted June 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm

these look so delicious! I'm making ribs for fathers day this weekend myself. Something about good hearty meat just screams proper fathers day supper.

37. baking.serendipityposted June 18, 2010 at 2:04 am

I really like the addition of coffee here! Definitely going to have to try this one :)

38. Diana's Cocinaposted June 20, 2010 at 4:15 am

Baby back ribs with coffee-infused BBQ sauce sounds perfect!

39. Nachiketaposted July 2, 2010 at 6:00 am

coffee infused ribs….. Droollllll……
    what a lovely post for your dad….. :)

cheers,