Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake

Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake

Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake

Every time I take the kids berry picking, I think to myself, “I could totally do this. I could farm… It’s hard work, but peaceful and gratifying.”

Then I imagine us buying a large piece of land and reinventing our life. I envision myself in overalls and work boots, driving a tractor. That thought always makes me chuckle! Of course, I know nothing of farming. I’ve never even had my own garden!

This year is the first year we are going to give it a whirl–that is, be involved in a communal garden. I’m hoping to learn a thing or two. I’ll let you know how it goes!

I still like to pretend, as we’re picking berries, that I somehow had a part in cultivating them. I also like to believe that I’m honoring the berries by putting them in such lovely treats! (If that makes me slightly crazy, I can live with that.)

This super moist cake is the perfect way to CELEBRATE juicy berries! It’s thick, soft, and packed full of fresh strawberries that weep pink tears down each tender slice. The yogurt and lemon create a wonderful tangy balance to it’s sweetness. This cake slices well, and doesn’t dry out quickly. It is wonderfully delicious on it’s own–but is also marvelous with a scoop of homemade ice cream! A perfect dessert to take to picnics and BBQs this spring and summer!

Strawberry Yogurt Cake

To prepare Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake:

Preheat oven to 325*. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sift together the 2 ¼ cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in the lemon zest and set aside.

Pour the batter into the Bundt pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Strawberry Yogurt Bundt Cake

Need a few more Bundt Cakes in your life?

Check out our brand-spanking-new ebook, Brilliant Bundt Cakes, packed full of the best bundt cakes you’ll ever taste!

Brilliant Bundt Cakes eBook - The Best Bundt Cakes Ever!

Yield: 12 slices

Cook Time: 1 hour

Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 Tb. lemon juice, divided
Zest of 1 lemon
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
8 oz. plain or vanilla, Greek yogurt
12 oz. fresh strawberries, diced
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan (10-15 cup pan.) Sift together the 2 ¼ cups of flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in the lemon zest and set aside.
  2. With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in 1 Tb. lemon juice. Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.
  3. Toss the strawberries with the remaining ¼ cup of flour. Gently mix them into the batter.
  4. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan. Place in the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  5. Allow to cool at least 20 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Once cooled whisk together the remaining 2 Tb. of lemon juice and the powdered sugar. Drizzle over the top of the cake.

NOTE: I've had a few questions on the texture of the batter. The consistency of the yogurt and the juiciness of the berries, greatly determined the consistency of the batter. Thick, (dryer) yogurt will produce a thicker batter, in which the berries won't sink to the bottom (top) of the cake as seen in the photos. Either way, it is a great cake--don't worry about the thickness of the batter.

Is this your first time visiting A Spicy Perspective?

Stay a while, poke around, and find more great recipes such as:

Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to get weekly updates of New Recipes!

430 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake”

Win Huisman — January 11, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

I made this for a Dessert, for friends that were coming for Dinner, and it turned out just what the photo looked like. It was a hit, and I am going to make it again this next weekend for other friends.
    Thanks for sharing.

Janis — February 6, 2014 @ 8:56 am

Can you make this with blueberries instead of strawberries? I wanted to make it for a gathering but I have someone coming that is allergic to strawberries

• Sommer — February 6th, 2014 @ 8:32 pm

Absolutely!

Carol Ann — February 14, 2014 @ 11:29 am

Tasty – kids loved it! Took way longer than 60 minutes (maybe 75-80?) and stuck to the bottom of the bundt even though it was greased. Should I have kept at at 375 longer? I preheated it until it reached that temp – then changed it to 325 as directed) right as I put it in.

Only changes: I used a 1/4 cup less of sugar and 10 (versus the 12) oz of fresh strawberries.

Also glaze didn’t dry all professional looking like yours!

Any suggestions?? Still delicious!

• Danielle — March 7th, 2014 @ 9:05 pm

Where’s the nutritional info?

Billie — March 7, 2014 @ 2:08 pm

Just wondering if this cake can be frozen for later eatin’? Thank you looks delicious!

Melissa — March 11, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

Can I use a different pan, don’t have a bunt pan.

• Sommer — March 11th, 2014 @ 11:22 pm

Hi Melissa, you can make it in two loaf pans and bake around the same length of time. Good luck

Tammy — March 28, 2014 @ 7:15 pm

I didn’t read the part about turning down the oven until the cake was in for approx 40 minutes. What effect will this have on the end product? I will probably know by the time you can reply, but i put a lot of love into making this and am hoping it can be salvaged. I turned the oven down to 315 just to hopefully help the situation out.

AmandaO — March 29, 2014 @ 12:31 pm

Delicious! I used orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice instead of lemon, blueberry yogurt instead of plain Greek yogurt, and baked in mini loaf pans for 40mins. I’ll be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!

Katie — April 13, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

We had friends over for dinner yesterday and I made this for dessert. I used plain Greek yogurt and reduced the sugar by 1/3cup and it turned out amazing! I saw that some people had trouble with it sticking so I greased and floured the heck out of my pan and had no issue. Will definitely be making again, and experimenting with different fruits. Thank you for sharing!

Kerri — April 24, 2014 @ 3:17 am

Delicious! Baked up perfectly and the whole family loved it. My son always wants strawberry cake for his birthday and I have yet to find one that I really like. This one has potential to be tried as birthday cake later this year!

Elizabeth — April 27, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

This is delicious! Mine got darker on the outside than yours which wasn’t as visually appealing. Any suggestions? I tried taking the next one out earlier but it wasn’t done.

• Sommer — April 28th, 2014 @ 6:08 am

Hmmm…. it makes me wonder about your bundt pan. Is it very old?

R. McLaen — May 2, 2014 @ 6:40 am

I have made this cake 4 times and it is delicious but I can’t get it to stop sticking to the bottom of the pan so I have a mess!! I do grease and flower and my bundt pan is not very old. Any other suggestions?

• Sommer — May 2nd, 2014 @ 5:11 pm

Hmmm… my bundt pan is a Wilton and has a heavy non-stick seal. The main reason why a bundt cake might not come out of the pan (other than not greasing and flouring) is not letting it rest in the pan long enough. Make sure the cake rests AT LEAST 20 minutes before flipping. If you are doing that and are still having a problem, try letting it sit for 30 minutes or so. Also, some people really love Bakers Joy non-stick spray for pans. Hope this helps!!

Jamie — May 6, 2014 @ 9:25 am

How many cups is 12 oz. of diced strawberries? I buy strawberries from the farmer’s market and they are not in packages with oz. listed on the front. Thanks!

• Brittany — June 5th, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

8oz = 1 cup, so therefore 12oz = 1.5 cups.

Sarah Post — May 8, 2014 @ 2:04 pm

Wow! Just made this cake and have yet to try it, but it came out beautifully. Just like the picture! Can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

Debbie — May 10, 2014 @ 1:40 am

I’ve been waiting long enough for a good excuse to make this cake and what better excuse than a family barbecue! I will be baking it tomorrow!

Raeleen — May 25, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

After reading all the comments about the difficulty of this cake sticking to the pan, I did what I’ve found to really work. After greasing the Bundt pan with shortening, I use purchased, plain regular breadcrumbs instead of flour. Since I discovered this method, I’ve never had any problems. Thank you for this cake recipe! So delicious! Have used blueberries, too!

Alicia King — June 19, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

Could you use splenda in place of the sugar?

• Sommer — June 19th, 2014 @ 9:01 pm

Hi Alicia, I don’t ever use Splenda, but you could certainly try it! If you do, let me know how it turns out. :)

Alicia — June 22, 2014 @ 11:14 am

This is cooling off as we speak! Smells great and looks fantastic. .mine is a bit darker and strawberries didn’t completely sink to bottom! Can’t wait to taste it at bunco today! !!!

Katie G — July 17, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

Made this today for my family. It came out way too lemony. It almost tasted like a lemon cake with some strawberries rather than a strawberry cake. It might be helpful to list what size lemon to use in the recipe and exactly how much zest (in Tbsp) Apparently a large lemon is not correct. Overall great cake, excellent consistency, but too much lemon.

stephanie — July 25, 2014 @ 8:27 pm

Delicious. Made a few changes though. Used orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice instead of lemon. used 3 strawberry GoGurts instead of plain or vanilla because that’s all I had on hand. And I don’t have a bundt pan so I used 9×13 instead. Same temp. Took 30mins in my oven.

Micu Mici — August 6, 2014 @ 8:13 am

Hello!
    First of all, thank you for this wonderful recipe, your cake looks amazing and its been on my mind for a while. I have some friends over tonight, so I decided it is a good occasion to try it.
    I am in Europe, and it took me some time to convert everything to grams, ml and Celsius… the only thing I could not measure was the strawberries. My cake turned out way too wet, and it took forever to bake through. I will have to introduce it as a ‘strawberry lemon pudding’ I guess, but it still tastes amazing.
    While making it, I couldn’t believe how little flour you use, but I decided to stick to the recipe. Next time will put less strawberries and more flour I guess.

Thank you!!!!

Callen — August 27, 2014 @ 8:33 am

Looks amazing. Has anyone tried it with frozen berries? Does it work with frozen strawberries just as well?

Thanks!

Ashley V — August 31, 2014 @ 2:31 pm

I stumbled upon this recipe about a week and a half ago through the I Heart Naptime blog (old post), and I used it for a cake bake-off contest with my friends. Though our cake had 2 other flavors along with this one, I have a sneaking suspicion that this strawberry cake is the reason we won the taste category by more than double the points. It was incredible! I’m typically a chocolate only type of girl-I don’t usually even waste my time eating any other flavors of cake, ice cream, desserts in general. However, I have been pretty much dreaming about this cake since I made it, and I am desperate for a reason to make it again (a reason other than ‘I just desperately want it,’ because that would result in my eating the entire thing all by myself which probably isn’t the best plan)!

• Sommer — September 1st, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

Wow Ashley, that’s awesome! Thanks for stopping by to share. :)

Allie — September 16, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe, it’s one of my favorite desserts now! Thank you for all the time and energy you put into this blog for people you may never meet. Bless you!! – Allie :)

amee — September 26, 2014 @ 5:38 pm

hi! Looks like i’m a few years late on trying this recipe! :) I got some strawberries and greek yogurt from Costco because for some reason I thought I could ingest 32 oz of greek yogurt??? the costco disease – i have it. Buying random stuff in bulk. anyway, i digress. I made this recipe using FAGE greek yogurt 0% from costco. I also pulsed the strawberries in a food processor so they were tiny pcs…this yielded a pink color through the cake. The batter was thick but the cake baked perfectly after 1 hr and 10 mins.
    I learned a trick – instead of greasing and flouring a pan, i use a mix of cinnamon and sugar instead of the flour. (cinnamon doesn’t necessarily go with strawberry but i did it anyway)…
    then i took the cake out of the oven…let it sit for a few mins, then emptied it. The cinnamon sugar gives a nice sweet crisp crust on top.
    then after cooling i added the icing.
    Thanks – perfect recipe.

1 4 5 6

1. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Orange Bundt Cake | Measuring Bliss

2. Pingback: Strawberry Breakfast Cake | If You're Bored

3. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake | Dreamy Blog

4. Pingback: S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y | Our Piep Show

5. Pingback: Recipe: Strawberry Yogurt Cake | BurlingtonVT Moms BlogBurlingtonVT Moms Blog

6. Pingback: Help. Need a strawberry cake recipe - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel

7. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Cake Recipe

8. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Lemon Cake | Nascentes Morimur

9. Pingback: Strawberry Pound Cake | normalcooking

10. Pingback: spring strawberry cake | wert and art

11. Pingback: Strawberry Sour Cream Cake | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker

12. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Muffins | NancyCreative

13. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake - A Family Feast

14. Pingback: Strawberry Pound Cake | Normal Cooking

15. Pingback: Breads and Cakes | Pearltrees

16. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Poundcake | What I Like

17. Pingback: Strawberry Cakes Forever | In Natalie's Shoes

18. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Cake | The Messy Sisters

19. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Cake « Live More Daily | Live More Daily

20. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake | "A Curious Mind"

21. Pingback: Share The Love Sunday: Recipes with Fruits and Vegetables in Unusual Places |

22. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake Recipe | Bakerette.com

23. Pingback: Feel Good Friday | Exploring Happiness

24. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake - Seven Foods Of Heaven

25. Pingback: File it Friday: Flower Craft, Strawberry Cake + More | How to Have it All

26. Pingback: Fun Friday Five! | A Fettle Fine Thyme

27. Pingback: Caramel Potatoes » Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake

28. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 5/1/14 – College Fashion

29. Pingback: Strawberry Recipe Roundup – CA Grown

30. Pingback: Cooking A-Z: Y is for Yogurt Cake | Sweets Eats and Crafts

31. Pingback: 8 Things that I’m Loving Right Now (June) | The Thrifty Frugal Mom

32. Pingback: It's all About Strawberries and Delicious Recipes

33. Pingback: A Mad Weekend | Go Bake Yourself

34. Pingback: Strawberry Bundt Cake | My great WordPress blog

35. Pingback: Two-Colored Yogurt Bundt Cake - Give Recipe

36. Pingback: Fresh Lime Cake with Raspberries - Ambrosia & NectarAmbrosia & Nectar

37. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake | OptimaFood

38. Pingback: How We Spent Mothering Sunday - Debs Random Writings

39. Pingback: Strawberry Yogurt Cake | Tales from a 20-Something's Kitchen.