Mixed Berry Crostata with Lemon-Honey Ricotta Cream

Galette or Crostata?

Mixed Berry Crostata with Lemon-Honey Ricotta Cream

I get confused…is it a galette, crostata, free-form pie, flat tart, what? I’m pretty sure the only difference between ALL of these, is where you live. For the French, it’s a galette. For the Italians, it’s a crostata. For Americans…well, we Americans like to use multiple names for the same thing! I’ve even heard of this being called a Lazy Pie. Whatever it is–it’s amazingly delectable and simple to make!

Today I’m calling it a crostata. For some reason I always use the term galette when it’s savory and a crostata when it’s sweet! I make crostatas every time certain fruits comes in season. I also make them around the holidays, when we are preparing some sort of FEAST and have already used all the pie and tart pans for other dishes. Crostatas are handy!

Now I’m going to tell on myself–I can’t do something naughty and keep it a secret. The day I made this particular mixed berry crostata, my husband called and said he would be home a little late and not to worry about making dinner. I looked at the kids and thought, “Anything I make them is going to be overlooked by the fact that dessert is waiting for us.” So you know what we did? We had a VERY small green salad, and crostata with ricotta cream for DINNER! I don’t know if that makes me a very BAD mommy, or a very GOOD mommy, but I’m sure it’s one or the other! The kids gobbled it up with wide smiles on their faces and a mischievous sparkle in their eyes! Later when my husband came home, he saw the rest of the crostata and a curious expression came over is face. He said, “I plan on eating ALL of that tonight. I know that’s extremely gluttonous, but I don’t care!” And you know what? HE DID! He sat down and ate over half of this Mixed Berry Crostata and Ricotta Cream without blinking! He said half way through he needed to stop but he just couldn’t. Later he had a MAJOR tummy ache, but he swears it was worth it! I guess we were all a little naughty that night! At least I’m confessing!

What makes this crostata special? Let’s start with the obvious, freshly picked berries. You could make this with frozen berries any time of year, but it’s not quite the same. The berry mixture is also not overly sweet…I think that’s what makes it so addictive. You could truly just keep eating and eating it–as my husband so kindly demonstrated! The crust is a simple pie crust, but homemade pie crusts are fairly special on their own. And last, the Lemon-Honey Ricotta Cream. DON’T skip the cream–it’s to die for! A fluffy blend with smooth cheese, sweetened with honey, and brightened with lemon zest. You will be licking your plate clean!

To prepare:

Add the first three ingredients to a food processor. Pulse once or twice to mix. Chop the cold stick of butter into cubes. Add them to the processor and pulse until the butter clumps are the size of peas. Add 3 Tb. of very cold water to the processor. Pulse it a few more times, until the dough comes together. Dump the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form the dough into a round disk and wrap well. Place in the fridge for at least thirty minutes.

Place the blackberries and cut strawberries in a medium bowl. Add one-quarter of the lemon zest (about ½ tsp.), along with 2 ½ Tb. of flour, 2 ½ Tb. sugar, and ¼ salt of salt. Toss well.

Preheat the oven to 450*. Once cold, roll the dough into a 12 inch free-form circle. Fold half the dough over the rolling pin and move it to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

Pour the fruit mixture in the center of the dough and spread out, leaving a 1 ½ – 2 inch rim around the edges.

Gently fold the edges up over the fruit, making sure not the let the fruit poke through the dough. It looks best when you go around the circle in one direction while folding. Mix 1 egg with 1 Tb. of water. Brush the egg wash over the exposed dough. Sprinkle the dough edges with Turbinado sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes—until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Pour ¾ cup of cream into the food processor. Process for about 1 minute—until a stiff cream forms. Add the ricotta, honey and the remaining three-quarters of the lemon zest. Process another 30 seconds, or so, until well combined.

Serve the cream with the Crostata—try not to eat so much you get a tummy ache! Serves 6-8.

*The ricotta cream is a very loose cream because of the runny honey. I personally love it this way! If you want a stiffer version, either use whipped honey or substitute sugar.

Mixed Berry Crostata with Lemon-Honey Ricotta Cream

For the crust:
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 stick of unsalted butter, cold (8 tablespoons)
3 Tb. ice cold water
For the filling:
12 oz. blackberries
16 oz. strawberries, trimmed and cut into halves and quarters
Zest of 2 lemons, divided
2 ½ Tb. flour
2 ½ Tb. sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 egg
1 Tb. Turbinado sugar (or regular sugar)
For the cream:
¾ cup heavy cream
¾ cup soft ricotta cheese
3 Tb. honey

Pour the fruit mixture in the center of the dough and spread out, leaving a 1 ½ - 2 inch rim around the edges.

**In a hurry—buy a premade roll-out pie crust and skip making the dough!

34 Responses to “Mixed Berry Crostata with Lemon-Honey Ricotta Cream”

penny aka jeroxie — May 31, 2010 @ 4:42 am

that looks pretty awesome and so simple to make.

citronetvanille — May 31, 2010 @ 5:02 am

I am afraid I would have been as gluttonous as your husband, how can you resist? that red juice coming from the fruits is pure delight. So that could be called tarte too, I see galette something without the "border", crostata is ok too, either way, whatever you call it, it doesn't really matter when you see something that gorgeous you just want to finish it up fast :o)

Pacheco Patty — May 31, 2010 @ 5:56 am

This makes you a very good mommy! Your photographs looks great and I love the berries, what a lucky family you have, I'm sure they enjoy everything you bake!

Lazaro Cooks! — May 31, 2010 @ 6:32 am

I would have to say wonderful Mommy. I would love this for any dinner. Forget the name, I would call it fantastic!

By the way, love the new profile photo…very nice.

Cheers!

Cherine — May 31, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Whatever it is, galette or crostada… it looks absolutely delicious!

Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) — May 31, 2010 @ 11:41 am

I'm making this, this weekend !!! or maybe if I can find the time Wednesday for dessert as a treat. This makes you a very good mom and made for a very memorable night that I'm sure all of you will remember – definitely the best moments in life. For me this is most definitely a tarte :)

dinnersanddreams.net — May 31, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

I like galette better but I'd eat it no matter the name. It looks delicious.

My Kitchen in the Rockies — May 31, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

I LOVE the dinner idea! Sounds like fun. My kids would like that as well. The Crostata with the Ricotta cream looks delicious.

Mary — May 31, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

"A rose by any name…" Whatever you choose to call this dessert it is stunning and anything that gorgeous must be delicious. This is really wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

Biren — May 31, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

This looks and sounds delicious whateve you call it. Really good idea when you want a fast and easy dessert!

Rick — June 1, 2010 @ 12:56 am

Those pictures are scrumptious! Perfect for summer.

Pam — June 1, 2010 @ 11:39 am

It doesn't make any difference what it is called, it looks fantastic! Love it with the blackberries and I have lots of them in the freezer to try it with.

C and C Dish — June 1, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Whatever it is called, it looks fantastic!

laura — June 1, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

Sounds delicious, Sommer! I generally would like to eat things like this for dinner but my type A-ness kicks starts to kick in – though I do often cut back on dinner to save extra calories for dessert! – you're kids are lucky you've "chilled out"! ( ;

Claudia — June 1, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

I love crostadas and this is just stunning.

The Housewife — June 1, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

Looks so pretty! :) This is a great way to use all the gorgeous berries at the farmers markets!

Magic of Spice — June 1, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

Just beautiful! I really enjoy these types of deserts:)

Maria — June 1, 2010 @ 9:41 pm

Great write-up! And that crostata looks amazing. I don't think you a bad mommy at all … in fact it sounds like you are a good mommy who could use a break every now and then. And hey, fresh fruit boasts a great variety of vitamins and some calcium from the ricotta cream … that sounds pretty well-rounded to me ;)

gringarl — June 1, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

This pie is awesome, delicious and easy to make, thanks for sharing

Cook with Madin — June 2, 2010 @ 12:24 am

This looks really good. Great photos too. You are a great mommy. Thanks for sharing. I like your new profile photo.

sweetlife — June 2, 2010 @ 1:53 am

oh my this make you a GREAT mommy, love it..we sometimes do this, but we eat a cereal then dessert…oh yes the cream is a must, it looks divine..yum, great recipe and the first pic is truly mouthwatering

sweetlife

5 Star Foodie — June 2, 2010 @ 3:34 am

A wonderfully delicious rustic crostata! I love the Lemon-Honey Ricotta Cream here!

Devaki — June 2, 2010 @ 3:49 am

Dear Sommer – Once again you've put out o drool worthy dessert.

How wonderfully rustic crostata that's just asking to be bit into and polished off!

I love everything about it – the fresh berries and the Lemon-Honey Ricotta Cream here. On my list for the summer for sure :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandsflavors

denise @ quickies on the dinner table — June 3, 2010 @ 2:04 am

Well, Sommer, sometimes my kids and I have brownies for breakfast *grin* so..er, no comment LOL

I love everything about your crostata – the way it looks, the way the juices bleed when you cut into it and that cream..WOW!! Fantastic!! I'd skip dinner too, if I were faced with that…

Btw – I love the new pic. You look so girlish and care-free :)

The Cilantropist — June 3, 2010 @ 2:54 am

I am lusting after this right now, I am not surprised that your husband ate until he had a tummy ache! I wish my mom would have given this to me for dinner… ;)

101natural — June 3, 2010 @ 8:21 am

This looks mouth watering…

Von — June 5, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

You're definitely a good mummy =] I've never heard of the term crostata, but then again I've only recently heard of the term galette. I love how it looks though, and you make it sound so good!!

wannafoodie — June 6, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

So pretty… I love making galettes but can't wait to try your ricotta cream with my next one. It sounds as though it just makes it that much more tasty.

Sophie — June 7, 2010 @ 10:11 am

Whatever you call it it looks quite fabulous!!

The filled galette looks so inviting & I so love your lemon & honey ricotta cream!!

A real delight of a fine dessert!!

joudie's mood food — June 7, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

Looks soooooo Delicious. I think it is a galette. It sounds so much better the french way i think…. But its gorgeous!

I Am Gluten Free — June 8, 2010 @ 1:48 am

My kind of dinner, for sure. Can't wait to try and make this gluten free! Thx for the great recipe!

Diana's Cocina — June 20, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Beautiful! By the way, I'm always up for Lazy Pie.

Vivian — June 27, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

it's amazing!!

Lauren @ Delicateflavors — July 7, 2010 @ 10:41 am

What a beautiful and delicious dessert!