Strawberry-Basil Italian Ice

Strawberry Recipe #3…

Personalities are funny little things. They are a way for us to package ourselves, for our own understanding, and to present our “qualities” to others. But they are more than that. We often hold to our personality like a security blanket, a disclaimer for our quirks, shortcomings and bad habits. “I can’t help that I _____, it’s just the way I AM.” The truth is, any of us can change something about ourselves IF WE WANT TO. That’s the beauty of humanity, we choose. Life happens, but we choose how we will respond to it.

I have considered myself a Type A personality most of my life. Driven, focused, orderly, an over-achiever. Yes, there was this artistic side…a touch of whimsy, but overall, my ducks were marching straight as an arrow. This was my “personality” I told myself. I lived that way for a long time, but found it very wearing! The older I got, the more I realized that a little chaos could be a good thing. Although tricky for us perfectionist types, chaos will HELP you relax and simplify your life, after the initial shock of course. Having your cage rattled can actually inspire a person to discover what is truly important in life, and to find balance. I have decided to let go of a lot of my former personality traits, for a less complicated temperament. It’s been a healthy transition. The new me isn’t afraid of making mistakes, and doesn’t have to turn everything into a production…I like this girl.

After all, it’s the simple things in life that bring the most pleasure. I present you with an easy-going treat that packs a powerful punch. The combination of fresh garden strawberries, basil leaves and lemon zest creates a stunning flavor that’s sure to keep you blending and freezing ALL summer! This light and hassle-free dessert is perfect for your kiddos, or your most distinguished dinner guests on a sultry summer evening.

There are two ways to present Italian ice. 1. Freeze the mixture in one large container, then shave with a spoon into fancy little serving dishes. 2. Pour the blended mixture into sturdy dessert cups and freeze. Then allow each person to shave their own ice with their spoons. Either way–it’s amazing!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Preparation:

To make the simple syrup, combine one cup of water and one cup of sugar in a small sauce pan or microwave safe bowl. Heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Cool a  little.

Place all the ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour into 1 large container, or 6 small dishes. Freeze.

When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and set on the container for 10 minutes. Then use your spoon to shave away!

Yield: 6 - 1/2 cup servings

Strawberry Basil Italian Ice

1 pint fresh strawberries
¼ cup basil leaves
1 ½ cups simple syrup
Zest and Juice of 1 lemon

To make the simple syrup, combine one cup of water and one cup of sugar in a small sauce pan or microwave safe bowl. Heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Cool a little.

Freeze.

27 Responses to “Strawberry-Basil Italian Ice”

Kait — May 27, 2010 @ 3:48 am

What a delicious and simple recipe using fresh ingredients. You're right about simple things bringing the most pleasure.

citronetvanille — May 27, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Lovely sorbet especially with the addition of basil. As for personality type, I am not a pure A, I think I am a mixture of many types, but I think with age, I get more mellow :o) – That pinkish color remind me of a watermelon, it's just beautiful!

brad — May 27, 2010 @ 4:38 am

I think we should call you Doctor Sommer Collier, chef extraordinare and counsler! Come get food for the body,and mind. Way better than Doctor Phil I don't think he can cook.

Biren — May 27, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Perfect for this time of the year! It looks so refreshing with the basil.

MaryMoh — May 27, 2010 @ 5:03 am

Beautiful description of your personality type. Bet this beautiful ice can sooth any chaotic moments :D

Anna — May 27, 2010 @ 5:54 am

Beautiful post, good for you that decided to let go…I tend to hold with nails and teeth on mine. The ice cream looks great such a lovely combination. :-D

My Kitchen in the Rockies — May 27, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

It is hard to let go, isn't it?
    Love the dessert idea. My basil is growing!
    Thanks.

Scott K — May 27, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

How wonderful and our strawberries are coming in in he garden!

Food Lover — May 27, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

yummmm, so sweet for the summer, thanks :)

Mother Rimmy — May 27, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

I love this blog post. Very inspiring. The combination of basil with lemon and strawberries sounds delightful!

C and C Dish — May 27, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

This recipe looks wonderfully refreshing, I definitely want to try this!

Magdalena — May 27, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

This is very re freshening idea; the only problem – when we will have summer here ? The weather in Europe is awful. Cold, cold, cold….I love the mixture of strawberries with basil. Thank you.

Magic of Spice — May 27, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

How wonderful this looks!

The Duo Dishes — May 27, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Sometimes a little chaos can be for the best. Everything won't always be perfect, and we have to be ready for it! If it feels a little uncomfortable, have a bit of this Italian ice!

Marjorie Frost — May 27, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

I can't wait to try this! Sounds delicious.

laura — May 27, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

Love this Sommer – simple and perfect for summer! I'm not so much a type A these days either – I don't know if I tried to change – but life has certainly mellowed me out regardless. ( :

Pacheco Patty — May 27, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Beautiful looking sorbet, I would like to try this one!

es — May 27, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

I was looking for a recipe where I could you the fresh basil from my herb garden and waa-laa..

Katie@Cozydelicious — May 28, 2010 @ 12:47 am

I love strawberries with basil. It's such a summery combo. And I have a ton of basil… I'll have to make this. Yum!

Baking Barrister — May 28, 2010 @ 2:27 am

oh i've been looking for things to do with the hordes of strawberries we have. it looks so good!

and as for personalities, i'm fairly young (25) but I've learned to compartmentalize my type a personality (most lawyers are type A. we're nuts). i know i need to be a little crazy and let go more often, so I just give myself the space to do that. it makes me feel less guilty when i'm being hardcore.

Rick — May 28, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

That looks like a the perfect summer treat.

Lazaro Cooks! — May 28, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

Wonderful introspective post. I applaud your continued personal growth. So many people are stuck in arrested development.

Cheers!

5 Star Foodie — May 29, 2010 @ 1:24 am

The sorbet sounds amazing! Love the combo of strawberries and basil!

Memória — May 29, 2010 @ 5:36 am

YUM!!! I've yet to try out a granita, and this looks very promising. Great photos!

Ruby — May 29, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Perfect way to use of some of the basil plant that is threatening to take over my kitchen! Beautiful post, and a great example of why you were included in my first list of awards:

Please stop by and have a look when you get a chance. Cheers!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table — June 3, 2010 @ 2:11 am

Sommer – you are singing my song!!! It's uncanny how much this sounds like both the old and the new me! Or, maybe many women just mellow out when motherhood and the attendant mayhem strikes ;)

I love, love, LOVE this! The colour is blindingly beautiful and oh, it is so HOT and sticky here – you have no idea how welcome this would be right now!!

1. Pingback: Meyer Lemon and Peppercorn Italian Ice | A Spicy Perspective