Warm Goat Cheese and Granny Smith Salad

Again with the salads? Yes, this time of year I’m cranking them out right and left. To shake things up, this particular salad offers a little decadence along with the greens!

In a perfect world my husband and kids would be jumping up and down for “salad night”. Can you imagine what that would look like? “I want the last helping of salad.” “No! You got the most salad last night, I get the extra salad tonight!” “Now kids, there’s enough salad to go around.” In reality, I have to TRICK them into eating their greens by topping them with rich, crunchy ingredients.

We’ve all had salads with cheese. What generally comes to mind are those enormous chain-restaurant salads topped with piles of neon-orange processed cheese shred. We’re going in a different direction for this recipe…introducing GOAT CHEESE. Possibly, my all time favorite thing to eat! I try incorporating it in just about everything. In fact, I really can’t think of anything that wouldn’t taste better with a smear of soft, creamy goat cheese on top. Peanut butter and goat cheese sandwiches, pickled pig’s feet and goat cheese, goat cheese stuffed Spam….YUM!

Lightly pan fried goat cheese served warm, over cool, crisp granny smith apples and fresh herbs. The crispy goat cheese fills the need for a slab of protein. Coming from a hardcore meat-eater, that’s saying a lot! The dressing elevates the tart apple flavor with pureed granny smiths and effervescent champagne vinegar. Add some toasted walnuts, and you have near perfection.

The secret to frying cheese is to slice and freeze it first. That way, as the breading is crisping up in the hot oil, the cheese is thawing and warming. Not oozing out! Those of you who know my stance on frying–this IS a time when it’s ABSOLUTELY worth it!

Cheese is milk’s leap towards immortality. -Clifton Fadiman

Preparation:

Do ahead: Slice the goat cheese log into 10-12 ½ inch pieces. Wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer for at least 1 ½ hours.

In a blender, puree the first 7 ingredients, then slowly add ½ cup oil to the dressing until emulsified.

Prepare 3 pie pans: one holding buttermilk whisked with egg, a second with flour mixed with white pepper, and a third with panko.

Heat a smallish skillet over medium. Add enough oil to thoroughly coat the bottom of the skillet—about ¼ inch deep. While the oil is heating, prepare the salad plates by piling salad greens on 4-6 plates, topped with julienne apples and toasted walnuts. (Chilling the plates ahead of time is a nice touch!)

When the oil is hot, quickly dip the frozen cheese rounds into the egg mixture, then flour, egg mixture again, then panko—that’s right—4 dips in all!

Place them into the skillet around the outer edges first, and fill the center last. Pan-fry the cheese for 1 ½ to 2 minutes per side until it reaches a golden brown color. Flip with a small spatula.

When ready, remove the fried cheese and place it on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil. Repeat with extra cheese if needed.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Warm Goat Cheese and Granny Smith Salad

½ peeled, chopped granny smith apple
¼ cup champagne vinegar

½ tsp. white pepper
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
1- 10.5 oz. log of soft goat cheese

5 oz. Herb Salad mix
1 ½ granny smith apples, julienne
¾ cup toasted walnuts

Drizzle each plate with granny smith vinaigrette and place 2-3 fried cheese rounds on top of each salad. Serve while the cheese is warm! Serves 4-6.

14 Responses to “Warm Goat Cheese and Granny Smith Salad”

citronetvanille — April 23, 2010 @ 5:07 am

Great salad, I love warm goat cheese and the apple adds a nice little touch!

Cherine — April 23, 2010 @ 6:31 am

I am drooling on the key board – I love warm goat cheese.

Devaki — April 23, 2010 @ 6:47 am

How absolutely decadent, Sommer!

Lovely flavors and that fried goat cheese looks wonderfully scrumptious. Absolutely mouthwatering with the apples :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Katie @ Cozydelicicous — April 23, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

Thank you for the tip on freezing the cheese! I've tried to fry goat cheese for salads before and it always ended up a gooey mess. I'll have to give it a try again. And next time I'll add apples too -yum!

Emily Ziegler — April 23, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

What a GORGEOUS salad!!! I could eat some right now. Perfect on this lovely spring day in Philadelphia:)

laura — April 24, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

This looks and sounds amazing, Sommer! I'm still working on my love for goat cheese (I think the goat cheese Pizza Hut pizzas in Bolivia were not a good introduction at 17), but I can easily imagine this also delicious with brie, comté, gruyère, or camembert- the flavors sound perfect.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE — April 24, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

Laura-

I understand…there are certain things I have trouble eating after trips abroad! I have made fried brie salads before that turned out beautifully. Just don't forget to freeze the cheese first!

Samantha @ The Savvy Soybean — April 28, 2010 @ 11:16 pm

This looks SO delicious!! And I've always wanted to know how to make fried goat cheese- I get these salads all the time in restaurants. Nothing's better than warm goat cheese with tangy fruit. Beets would probably be great in this as well. Beautiful blog, btw!

Sophie — May 13, 2010 @ 8:00 pm

What a georgous & super tasty salad!!

Many greetings from Brussels, Belgium!

Tyler Drumwright — April 26, 2013 @ 11:06 am

Goat milk is often consumed by young children, the elderly, those who are ill, or have a low tolerance to cow’s milk. Goat milk is more similar to human milk than that of the cow, although there is large variation among breeds in both animals. Although the West has popularized the cow, goat milk and goat cheese are preferred dairy products in much of the rest of the world. Because goat cheese is often made in areas where refrigeration is limited, aged goat cheeses are often heavily treated with salt to prevent decay. As a result, salt has become associated with the flavor of goat cheese.*

Remember to look out for our own web site
    <http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/

Lynn — May 1, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

HOLY decadence! This looks absolutely heavenly. Thank you for sharing this …. it’s in the dinner queue!

Charlie — January 14, 2014 @ 11:15 am

This looks so good!

Do you think that because the cheese is frozen I could use a slightly softer cheese, like Boursin?

Have a Joyful Day :~D
    Charlie

• Sommer — January 14th, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Hi Charlie, Yes! I’ve done this with brie, gouda and cheddar as well. Just make sure they are thoroughly coated, so the melted cheese doesn’t ooze out.

Charlie — January 15, 2014 @ 9:49 am

Hi Sommer:

Thank you for answering my question.

Have a Joyful Day :~D